DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people put in the differentials (w/anti spin) on their 3G's.
Mine is due and Royal Purple, Mobil 1 I heard supposed to be good, true?

Thanks

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,292 Posts
both are great, just remember to add the friction modifier cause u have the anit-spin

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yep both good choices. I'd double check on the friction modifier though. I dont have one but I think I read the 2500's dont use it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I though so too no modifier needed in the AAM axel,
so Mobil 1 or RP is good enough?

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
theGerman said:
I though so too no modifier needed in the AAM axel,
so Mobil 1 or RP is good enough?
I would use the Mobil 1 full synthetic.
I dont think you need the friction modifier either but maybe check the service manual for refrence ...which can be dowloaded off of hemitruckclub.com

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Anti-Spin in the 2500/3500 series trucks uses the gear type limited slip and it does not use the friction modifier. Any full synthetic lube, that meets DC's specs of course, will work. I am using Amsoil since that is what my gear installer recommended when I went to the 4.56 gears and it has worked just fine, it was also alot less expensive than the MOPAR stuff.

·
~3 tOns oF fUn~
836 Posts
Amsoil Severe gear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The AMSOIL is warranty approved?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Amsoil gear oil is warranty approved. I use the Severe
Gear. Got it much cheaper than the Mopar fluid.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Leviathan said:
The Anti-Spin in the 2500/3500 series trucks uses the gear type limited slip and it does not use the friction modifier. Any full synthetic lube, that meets DC's specs of course, will work. I am using Amsoil since that is what my gear installer recommended when I went to the 4.56 gears and it has worked just fine, it was also alot less expensive than the MOPAR stuff.
I use Mobil-1 GL5 75w-90 in mine because it's readily available at Advance Discount Autoparts where I buy and drop off my used oils. No additive needed with the 10.5 or 11.5 AAM.
What did it cost to have your 4.56 gears installed in your 2500? I've been considering it for my 4X2 for towing our 5th wheel. Did you have to have the pinion factor changed in the PCM for cruise control and expected rpm? Any new vibrations or gear noise? My truck runs so good I hate to open a can of worms with it.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
HemiRoy said:
I use Mobil-1 GL5 75w-90 in mine because it's readily available at Advance Discount Autoparts where I buy and drop off my used oils. No additive needed with the 10.5 or 11.5 AAM.
What did it cost to have your 4.56 gears installed in your 2500? I've been considering it for my 4X2 for towing our 5th wheel. Did you have to have the pinion factor changed in the PCM for cruise control and expected rpm? Any new vibrations or gear noise? My truck runs so good I hate to open a can of worms with it.
the only time you would need the pinion factor changed in the PCM is when you change tire sizes not gears. I use Mobil-1 as well in my 1500 but I have to add the additive.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well, not exactly. The pinion speed (drive shaft) will change by the percent of the gear ratio change. The speedo will still be accurate with a gear change as the tone ring will still be running the same road speed but the ECM and PCM might be looking for a specific rpm to compare to. If the pinion factor is set to reflect a 3.73 ratio and the expected rpm in O/D at 70mph is 1950 but it's now running 2400rpm in O/D, it might cause a conflict in the PCM. Like changing the "rotations per mile" parameter for different tires to correct the speedo and info to the PCM, it might be necessary to change the pinion factor parameter to reflect the new engine rpm at a given road speed. Just want to know for sure before I decide to jump in the deep end. I could ask the dealer and get the usual, "your truck doesn't have a 4.56 option" response. I thought I'd ask someone who's had it done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
HemiRoy, I didn't need to have the pinion factor changed after the gear install. But since I have 35x12.50's I needed the 4.56's to bring the truck back to what the computer was expecting to see from the stock setup. As for any new vibrations, gear noise or anything else I have none of the above. With the 10.5 and 11.5 AAM axles the only people that make the gears is AAM so you really don't have to worry any worse quality than factory. The issue that I did have was that I had to order the rear set from Randy's and the front set from Reider, both claimed that the 4.56's were on back order with no projected delivery date as all the newcgears being made were heading to Dodge. They may have more instock by now but I got the last ones both places had instock a few months ago. I love the upgrade and the increased seat of the pants feel, I can actually spin my 35's and the truck launches incredibly hard. I am very impressed with the new found performance of my 6,000+ pound truck and have absolutely no regrets with doing this upgrade. My only word of caution is to use the best gear installer you can find, I also replaced all the bearings even though my truck only had 14,000 miles on it. I have also stepped up to the 75-140 lube in the rear at the direction of the gear installer. He claimed that due to the higher pinion speeds and gear loading I should use the thicker lube. Total cost for both diffs was $1,900, but I did replace all bearings, seals, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks and very helpful. I'm considering letting the dealer do it. We have several dealerships in the Tampa Bay area and two that I trust. If they do it, they'll know if there's anything else that needs to be done and tech support is only a phone call away. Thanks again!

·
Banned
754 Posts
royal purple! i had it and had to drain it to do some work. the dodge mech noticed it and commented how much slicker it is than stock oil. and any syn is cheaper than the oem syn they are selling for 2 prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.