DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Asking people what motor oil they use is like asking smokers what brand do they smoke. LOL Seriously, you will get as many different answers as people who reply. I have read many, many, many hours of tests & research & have read for days on bobistheoilguy. I also read where a guy has a fleet of 12 diesel pickups & does oil samples every 10,000 miles. He has used just about every oil there is & used Blackstone labs to do oil anayl.. His conclusion was that the cheap wal mart brand of full synthetic performed as well as anything out there. So take everybodys opinion with a grain of salt. ANY engine can fail, & when they do MOST people just get rid of them & NEVER know what REALLY caused the failure. Most are not from lubrication breakdown. They are from component failures, or from oil passages that get blocked from poor maintanence & poor design of them. ANY full synthetic is better than the best regular oil. If you look up Schaffers oil, the guy there has more than one vehicle that has over 680,000 on gas engines. Only way to know for sure is to do oil anayl. on your vehicles every xxxxx of miles. I don't have the money to do that myself, as they cost almost as much as an oil change. But if Obama starts to charge tax on used motor oil, then one day it may be worth it to have them done. I have used Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Super-Tech in my current truck, all with great results & no issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, I hear modern engines are much easier on oils plus oils have gotten much better
in general. Oil related failures are rare and almost nonexistent except for those that
rarely change it.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Mobile 1 and Napa gold filter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 05 hemi and use valvoline full syn wix filter 30,000 miles . I use 5-20 always but decided to switch to 5-30 for summer and now u can here a tick. So i guess i wil switch back to 5-20. I change mine every 6 months but only put about 2,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
nothing beats Mobil 1:rck:

Mobil 1 currently enjoys the distinction of being the only readily available true PAO synthetic motor oil. You can get the stuff at Wal-Mart for Pete's sake! Perhaps because of its wide availability and comparatively low price, we entered this test with both hope and skepticism: hope that it would do well and vindicate millions of M1 users, and skepticism that it would pull it off. We were expecting it to look pretty beat up by 8,000 miles or so; to say we missed the mark would be polite understatement. Mobil 1 really delivered: 18,000 miles later, it was showing its age but was still hard at work protecting the engine.
It is fine that you like Mobil 1 BUT a few of the oils in the background of your photo are better products. Also, Mobil 1 products are NOT all PAO based. Depending on the formula they may be all or part GRP IV PAO or actually GRP III Hydrocracked Crude based. They will not tell you what is what either unlike other companies that will tell you what base stock they use. There are other readily available true PAO oils out there as well.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.