DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Ram 360,I believe that the owners Manual states that we should run 87 octane. My question is what do you guys run in your trucks for optimum performance and Mileage??

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
would def. run at least an 89.....personaly i run 91

·
Registered
868 Posts
If it doesn't ping on 87, then it should be fine for it.
I'd run 87 ethanol free before I would run 89 or better with ethanol......even if it cost more.
Ethanol doesn't agree with my '95 Concorde one bit. I would love to see how my 360 runs on ethanol free, but don't want to pay for premium on an unmodified engine.
Minnesota is a 10% ethanol in all gasoline state. We have some non-ethanol fuel for collector cars and small engines.
Screw the government and there ethanol mandates. It saps my fuel mileage by about 2-3 mpg and it causes the car to run like crap.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
i run the highest (91/92) in my 94 grand cherokee with the 360 swapped in. I ran 87 once, and I ended up siphoning it out and filling it back up with the good stuff. When I bought the engine, they told me not to use anything but the highest.
Just my .02

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I am asking Is because In the past I have run 87 in my truck and neon, I get better mileage with it too for some reason. but I want too know if premium will be worth the extra cash in a tank full. I have heard that 91-93 is good for the 360, Is this correct? I am looking for maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes,gsmagnum, that is correct, that stuff sucks clogs things up and causes problems. pluss I cant see any real benefit for being a couple cents cheaper. not too long ago though It was a bit more for some reason though.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I run 87 in everything I own with no problems. As far as 10% enthanol goes I think there is a tax break for enthanol is why it is cheaper some places. :gr_patrio

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I've run nothing but 87 since I got the truck 2-2.5 years ago. Runs great.

·
Registered
99 Ram 5.2
127 Posts
For what it's worth.....I've read that lower octane fuels ignite sooner (before top dead center possibly) causing an ever so slight loss in fuel economy. As time goes on with this constant added stress on rods and crankshafts the problem worsens.
Add in the fact that preignition in a cylinder can even occur from carbon deposits within the combustion chamber and some say you have the recipe for premature engine failure.
Higher grade fuel ignites slower in the cylinder ensuring all ignition is after top dead center. My brother in-law rebuilds engines. He told me he can always tell if someone use regular gas. Again.....for what it's worth.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I used mid grade since I bought the truck. I filled it up with reg once and it pinged big time.
I run the E-10 now and still get about 12-13 in town.
I just put about 15 gallons of reg gas in it this moring, had to since I was out of gas, they were out of mid grade, and that was all that was open.
Will see what happens but I am not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd just always run the lowest octane your engine can run on for DD. If you're towing or use the truck for some other heavy or severe duty, the engine may start to ping a little and you may then want to up the octane, but otherwise, just run 87. I run it in my 360 and I'm very happy with it!

·
Banned
62 Posts
I run 87, but when I change my oil I will fill up with 93 once just to clean things out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I usually run 93 octane, unless I'm broke. But lately gas prices have been falling, getting a gallon of super (93 octane) for around $2.20. I also put in a bottle of Lucas Oil Tune Up In A Bottle about every 3-4 tanks, I highly recommend it to everyone. Ups my gas mileage, and has condtioners to clean injectors and any other deposits in the fuel system. About to hit 160,000 on my 5.2 and still runnin strong!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ran 93 when I had the mopar PCM installed then after I discovered it gave me no performane gains over the stock PCM I swaped them out and have run 87 ever since, I will never run anything but 87 its a waste of money and i get better gas mileage with the stock pcm.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your thoughts guys. Mad4dskilz,That is what I feel, I have put it in my trucks in the past, usually I can get between
2-4 mpg better so it is my choice. I just wanted to hear form others that premium wouldnt be better. thanks for cinfirming my best assumption.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.