DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to clean up some surface rust under the truck on the frame, axles, pretty much touch up all over as best I can. It is an 04 from the northeast so there is a decent amount of rust spread around. Is there anything underneath that I should not touch with rust converter?

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I would obviously stay away from anything electrical. What product are you using?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I agree, nothing electrical, other than that you should be all set. Being up north, consider getting POR-15, I used this on my previous vehicle and it's literally the best stuff you can get for painting over rust (POR). The steps are pretty extensive and it's somewhat pricey but when you see the result and how solid the finish is, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't selected anything yet but POR is on the list if I can afford it. I figured anything electrical and brake lines but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I need to do this too, Ill look into this POR stuff

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm from north eastern as well. What is POR? Yeah, damn salt under the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 RC and eat up metal. Every year, in spring time warm up, I used hot pressure washer to wash under the truck. Sand it down and repainted everything under as axles, frame so forth. Also, WD-40 is best one to use to spread it every where. Will show pictures come up. Just try to keep it up good shape.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Ive never used POR but I have used Ospho.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
POR (Paint Over Rust) is a paint specifically designed to protect rust-prone areas from the elements, and also to protect currently rusting areas from getting any worse. You basically clean the rust off, apply a cleaning agent, apply an etching acid, then apply the paint....believe me when I say DO NOT get this stuff on your skin. I got a little bit on my arm when I did my last car and it wouldn't come off for over 2 weeks.

Here is some info on the POR-15 product:
http://www.por15.com/

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Ah ok, well then it sounds like Ospho would be the step before the POR then because you apply it to rust areas, let it dry and then paint.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yeah, more than likely....I was very pleased with POR-15, I got the high gloss black and painted the entire under-carriage of my last car, stuff is insane.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I honestly don't remember where I bought it, there was a vendor on the forum for my WRX community. I am pretty sure you can order it directly off their website, or even Amazon? I'll see if I can dig up some before and after pics as a reference.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
OK, I found a few...keep in mind the "after" pic was taken before I finished the touch up, all the spots that look rusty still ended up looking like the rest, nice and glossy black..

Before...

After...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the Pics. Did you use rust converter before you painted? I was thinking about picking up some at auto zone (not sure what brand yet) and painting over it with POR. Also, can you paint over nuts and bolts? Not sure what the POR is like when it dries but I could see painting over everything causing problems when trying to get bolts out.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Thanks for the Pics. Did you use rust converter before you painted? I was thinking about picking up some at auto zone (not sure what brand yet) and painting over it with POR. Also, can you paint over nuts and bolts? Not sure what the POR is like when it dries but I could see painting over everything causing problems when trying to get bolts out.
The POR system comes with everything you need to get the surfaces prepped, no need for a rust converter. You can paint over nuts and bolts, I did but just put a light coat on them (on the nut and bolt themselves, no gaps), the POR is honestly like a layer of epoxy over everything, so if you get it into any important gaps you'll have a hard time getting it out. Keep in mind, the entire process to do the whole underside of my car took over 2 days, so don't plan on driving it for a while. The paint itself requires 24 hours to dry.

Here are a few more pictures of different parts of the car, again prior to touch up. My camera shit the bed before I could get final pictures of the job completed...

Before:

After:

More after pics...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just looked into it more on the POR site. Looks like I just need metal ready and POR. The Frame still has most of the original paint on it though so I may just use rust converter and another paint for the frame/axles.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Whatever saves you money, I know POR was fairly expensive...but in comparison for how long it lasts it's worth it.

Makes me sad posting pics of my car, I miss it...never should have gotten rid of it.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I didn't get the gallon because the pint was plenty for what I needed, and a gallon of it was just way too expensive...a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. The entire under-carriage of my car was done with just 1 pint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.