DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was disappointed today when I found out I do not have limited slip on my 2006. So I guess I'm installing one. I searched but couldn't find answers to certain questions. How much can I expect to pay for install. Unit cost is between $350 and $400 as far as I can see.

http://www.rearendparts.com/xcart/catalog/542070-p-717.html

Pardon me, I'm not to educated when it comes to differentials. If I find a local installer, will they need any other items to install this? Or is this unit all they need?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
that is all you (they) should need, unless you want to upgrade to lower gears at the same time, which would really save you some money if you did that now, assumeing you want to change them

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Off the subject........your avatar Daklover is brilliant LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So where did you look to find out that you didn't have LSD? I heard to look in the glovebox, but nothing is there. I have a Lonestar Edition, so I'm assuming I don't have it.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I can tell you how I find out.

One lonnnnng strip of black rubber pointing at my right rear tire from every stoplight in Killeen, TX.

Well that, and the little sticker in my glovebox, lol. :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, many hours of research later has brought me here. I am feeling strongly about this one Powertrax No.Slip 92-0392-3105. I have found them for around $450. From what I understand, install is not too complicated. A 2 hour job. Is that true? Also, why does this not have cluthes like the OE tracloc LSD unit? I am so confused on all this garbage.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
its a pretty straight foward install. id do it myself.

·
Where is my money tree?
793 Posts
Are you locking for a positraction/limited slip or a locker??? There are noticable differences.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeepstudchris said:
Are you locking for a positraction/limited slip or a locker??? There are noticable differences.
Yeah, I have been PMing byrdawg13 a little bit lately. I may have changed my mind back to the Auburn. I tow a 20 foot boat in the summer time and don't want to have the gears locking up on a right hand turn while towing the boat. The Auburn with cluthes suites what I use my truck for a little better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sorry if i sound like a smart a$$, but shouldn't it have said on the window sticker that was on the truck when u bought it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sport98 said:
3.92 Anti-Spin's are included in the LoneStar editions

Jason
Sorry but that is not completely true, the 3.92 is part of the package but the LSD is a seperate option, if the truck came with tow package then it would have been part of that package.

When I purchased my truck I found out the Big Horn/ThunderRoad/LoneStar are all the same and if you look at the package description they all did include 3.92 ratio, but the LSD is another option aside from the package.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Brandon your dad told me about your pissed not having LSD (I'm Jason, his coworker). Double check you don't have one for sure before you spend money on a new one. I thought my 2500 did not have one at first (one tire on the road, one tire in the dirt and I spun the dirt tire....alot). But after a few other situation I could feel it working and then I looked in the glove box and I infact did have one.

Moral of the story it its not a locker, one tire will spin given a big enough traction imbalance.

As for traction devices I would stay away from a full locker. They will give you great traction but caqn be a little dicey in the snow/ice and will wear your rear tires out faster than a LSD. Plus some of them are a bit harsh and bang and bump when they engage and disengage.

LSDs come in a fwe flavors: geared and or friction plate/cones (like in the auburn). They will give you more traction than an open diff but will not be as aggresive (on the average) as a locker. The ones with friction plates/cones wear out after a while and most require a friction modifier added to the diff lube. If you can look to see if they make a detroit "True- Tac" or your axle. It is a fully geared (torsen) LSD that never wears out, does not need additives, and is fairly aggresive but still smooth.

Good luck

·
PROJECT SRT-345
1,480 Posts
04QuadCab8 said:
Sorry but that is not completely true, the 3.92 is part of the package but the LSD is a seperate option, if the truck came with tow package then it would have been part of that package.

When I purchased my truck I found out the Big Horn/ThunderRoad/LoneStar are all the same and if you look at the package description they all did include 3.92 ratio, but the LSD is another option aside from the package.
Hell I didn't know that... I'm glad I got the Lonestar with the AntiSpin!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
LPGHemi said:
Off the subject........your avatar Daklover is brilliant LOL.
:rck:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ramboy06 said:
Sorry if i sound like a smart a$$, but shouldn't it have said on the window sticker that was on the truck when u bought it?
Yes, it should have. But I didn't look, I was so excited to have a new TRUCK!!!!

Jay5.9L said:
Hey Brandon your dad told me about your pissed not having LSD (I'm Jason, his coworker). Double check you don't have one for sure before you spend money on a new one. I thought my 2500 did not have one at first (one tire on the road, one tire in the dirt and I spun the dirt tire....alot). But after a few other situation I could feel it working and then I looked in the glove box and I infact did have one.
I wasn't sure at first either, but after playing in the mud on Monday I'm POSITIVE it doesn't. The 06's don't have specs in the glove box, nor is it labled on the rear end. With the rear axle on jackstands if I spin one tire, the other tire spins the opposite way which is how I found out for sure. I gotta save up about two more bills and then I'm ordering the TrueTrac.

P.S. - Jason, don't let Maaco paint yer Jeep! :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.