Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some input here and which kit and what size shot i shoudl go with

im sure it can handle a 75 all day long.... i spray a 150rwhp rated shot on my camaro, actually more like 200ish at the motor, stock bottom end as well no problems on stock tune for a while..

so due to the size of the hemi i think 75-100 would be aight,

but how does this work with the hypertech and superchips tunes ect, with the ls1 engine these programmers and nitrous are a no no cuase it advance the timing... i woudln't think the hemi has quite as much timing as the ls1 since its able to run on cheap gas where as the ls1's factory tune will not allow for that... so somebody please fill me in on all of this. i dont like to hook it up and spray it, id rather know exactly what im doing and where i stand.... ive been using nitrous for quite some time now and for me right now a supercharger or turbo wouldn't be as cost affective as a 100 shot on my daily driver.... but just outta curiousity, do ya'll mess with the timing ect when running certian levels of boost? or has the hemi not really been out long enuff that anyone has gone beyond the reccomended levels of hp and tq for the stock internals?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and is a intake/ two cutouts / and a 50-100 shot enuff to equal out a stockish lightning? i mean they cant be that damn fast.... best i saw one do stock was 8.80's at the local 1/8th

·
Registered
480 Posts
02z28_04hemiram said:
i need some input here and which kit and what size shot i shoudl go with

im sure it can handle a 75 all day long.... i spray a 150rwhp rated shot on my camaro, actually more like 200ish at the motor, stock bottom end as well no problems on stock tune for a while..

so due to the size of the hemi i think 75-100 would be aight,

but how does this work with the hypertech and superchips tunes ect, with the ls1 engine these programmers and nitrous are a no no cuase it advance the timing... i woudln't think the hemi has quite as much timing as the ls1 since its able to run on cheap gas where as the ls1's factory tune will not allow for that... so somebody please fill me in on all of this. i dont like to hook it up and spray it, id rather know exactly what im doing and where i stand.... ive been using nitrous for quite some time now and for me right now a supercharger or turbo wouldn't be as cost affective as a 100 shot on my daily driver.... but just outta curiousity, do ya'll mess with the timing ect when running certian levels of boost? or has the hemi not really been out long enuff that anyone has gone beyond the reccomended levels of hp and tq for the stock internals?

dont use a programmer with the nitrous if you do only use it on low setting....i have been spraying the hell out of my truck with no problems keep the shot at 150hp or less get the colder plugs part number 4306 and gap them at 35k.....no need to mess with timing

i have a nitrous express kit for a dodge efi motor i put it on last june almost a year ago and have sprayed over 30 bottles .......last time at the dyno i put down 510hp and 639 pounds of tq at the rear wheels with a 175hp shot ....my best time is with a 125hp shot i ran 12.44 at 108mph........1/8 mile was 7.93.......... with the bigger shot i'm having traction problems and i need some real slicks to hook.....i'm spinning way too much on and off the juice

·
Registered
480 Posts
02z28_04hemiram said:
oh and is a intake/ two cutouts / and a 50-100 shot enuff to equal out a stockish lightning? i mean they cant be that damn fast.... best i saw one do stock was 8.80's at the local 1/8th
i went a 8.71 at 99mph without the juice with just cheap mods in a loaded longbed :D

·
Tape On
829 Posts
h777 said:
dont use a programmer with the nitrous if you do only use it on low setting....i have been spraying the hell out of my truck with no problems keep the shot at 150hp or less get the colder plugs part number 4306 and gap them at 35k.....no need to mess with timing

i have a nitrous express kit for a dodge efi motor i put it on last june almost a year ago and have sprayed over 30 bottles .......last time at the dyno i put down 510hp and 639 pounds of tq at the rear wheels with a 175hp shot ....my best time is with a 125hp shot i ran 12.44 at 108mph........1/8 mile was 7.93.......... with the bigger shot i'm having traction problems and i need some real slicks to hook.....i'm spinning way too much on and off the juice

So, if I read between the lines I can spray a 150 shot and get 510 hp, not do anything as far as programming goes, throw in some colder plugs and if all hell breaks loose and it needs to go back to the dealer it can all come off and the dealer not be any wiser to it? Hmm, decisions decisions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay that is cool.. i figured that is what the awnser would be.. similar to my ls1 car on the 150 shot i spray.. really that 150 shot is a TNT kit that is rw rated and is more like 200 i was spraying on the all stock motor and tune and even fuel pump lol... no problems...

i will prolly get that nx kit, its pretty a pretty general kit, im wasn't really worried about the timing being to extreme since most factory engines aren't especially ones u can run lower grade gas in, thanks for the response tho. im not looking for to much, the girl will be racing this truck hopefully, im sure i will too, just trying to kinda lay out a plan for the truck with her, tryijng to get her intrested in racing so she will let me spend more cash on my true love my z28, however this might backfire when i wind up pooring more money into the truck instead lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes but i woudl be careful spraying a 150 shot period.. i would start at 75ish and work my way up for a lot of reasons.... also nitrous should be taken with care... its completely safe and actually will help clean and seat the motor if used right, it only causes wear when its used the wrong way ect..

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
the hemis can probably only hold a 100 shot safely w/ the stock heads and pistons, but i would go w/ a 75 shot just to see how the motor reacts to it, if u hear motor knock u kno it's too much

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
oh and a 50 shot would prolly beata lightning by a bumper

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hot2k1ram said:
the hemis can probably only hold a 100 shot safely w/ the stock heads and pistons, but i would go w/ a 75 shot just to see how the motor reacts to it, if u hear motor knock u kno it's too much
honestly if ur getting knock and ping u need to run a race gas mix or get the timing retarded or the combination of both to get that taken care of... for example 87 octane in my car with no nitrous will give me knock......... the truck prolly has a lil less timing and can get by on 87 octane... so could prolly take as much or more then my camaro.. its not so much the pistons, and i have no idea what heads have to do with it really, unless u run way lean and burn up the valves ect... but u'd have to be pretty dumb or uneducated to do something like that.. its really the whole bottom end and how it works together.. yes u coudl crack a piston, or even burn one up badly, but....., it will take more then you think i bet to have that happen. its different on imports ect.. the 4 banger cars and even 6 bangers cant take as much.. but bigger cubes and more cylinders will take more simply b/c a 100 75 shot is less then 10hp per cylinder.. ive been told not to go over 20 hp per cylinder.. that is why most 4 bangers civics ect will not go over a 75 shot, and most v8's wont go much over 150 at the rearwheel.... the shot is either measured at the crank or flywheel, or in rearwheel hp

·
11 seconds or BUST!!!
260 Posts
I'm running a 125 shot with no problems. On about my 7th bottle- 4th with 125 shot. I started with the 75 shot, changed my plugs to the 4306 bumped up to the Taylor 10.4mm wires and then went with the 125. I have the mods below and the 3:55 gears with open diff. I've never run with the stock 17's I have- but on 22's and my current gearing and wheel tire combo the spray is useless until your well into the 1/8th. (No 1/4 tracks here). I can't spray with 125 until I'm near 35mph. Now I have 4:10 gears and a posi unit on the way, as well as 17" MT Drag Radials, then I'll benefit from the 125. I actually ordered a air ride tech 4 link saturday so I can build my custom coilover set up (but that'll be talked about later) - But for now, I may drop back to the 75 until I get the get my gears, etc done.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
ColtSTeele, what were you running in the 1/8 with the 75 shot. I was thinking of just going that route, I think it would be better for my situation. Check my mods and tell me if I could keep up with a stock lightning with a 75 shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.