DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What MPG is everyone out there getting on their 5.9?
I try not to beat on mine and my wife drives it primarily. I'd say 50% drivetime miles are on the hwy and we average 10.2 MPG. The A/C has been on alot so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but just curious.

· Registered
251 Posts
My 5.9 4x4 doesn't get that much better. It's about 10-12 in the city (most driving) and if I drive a whole tank on the highway/interstate it's about 14-16. I'm curious to hear other's mpg too. Thanks,

Brett

· Registered
1 Posts
During winter with all short-medium trips, 9.5-10.5 mpg. (It's "fun" to look at your console computer while the car is warming up on cold days -- and see 4-8 mpg for the 1st couple miles.) Up to 12 mpg during warmer weather same trips. a/c usually on.

Road trip at 60-70 mph, about 16.5 mpg, a/c on.

1999, 5.9, 3.55 gears, 17" tires @ 33 psi, K&N intake, dino oil, 79k miles, heavy foot.

I've tried Mobil 1 and also Splitfire plugs in the past. I think both increased mpg a little, less than 1 mpg certainly. But the D seems to consume a little less dino oil, and the exotic plugs only gave those results when brand new.

RA

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
4x4 5.2 is getting 14.7 city and 16-17 hwy. not to bad

· ReBeL
84 Posts
I was getting 11.5-12.5 MPG city driving, until my PCM went bad and was replaced, now I get 9-10 MPG, and a loss in power which really sucks!

· Registered
36 Posts
My 5.9 R/T gets about 9mpg in the city and 14-16mpg hwy. Hurts at the pump, but it's fun as hell to drive!! Remember that the R/T's usually get less mpg since they have different gearing and AWD, where a non-R/T with the same 5.9 should get better mpg.

· Certifiable User
279 Posts
I saw rock sneak in his 5.2 so I figured I would try and do the same for the 4.7 crowd :). I average 16 mpg combined on 93 octane without a/c off and 15.8 with it on. The air filter made a huge difference and the muffler helped improve mileage as well. I tend to have a heavy foot and like seeing that tach climb into the 4 or 5 grand range :). The wife has tried to schedule me for a leadfootectomy but she luckily can't find a doc to do the surgery :D

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Dodgems said:
I saw rock sneak in his 5.2 so I figured I would try and do the same for the 4.7 crowd :).
:thatfunny you have to represent even if you not asked lol

· Registered
128 Posts
According to my trip computer, I get 13.2 mpg. Most of my driving is highway. I just rolled 156K.

· Registered
247 Posts
Gotta love 2wd....When it was pretty much stock, my 5.9 would get 20-21 mpg straight highway, 18 mpg combined with city. Last I checked it was getting about 16 mpg combo with the gear change. Since then a lot of parts have been installed and it hasn't been driven in a month. I have no idea what my mileage will be with all of the mods listed below, if I stay out of boost, I don't think it will be that bad.

· The Legendary Cross Ram
3,730 Posts
R. Aster said:
During winter with all short-medium trips, 9.5-10.5 mpg. (It's "fun" to look at your console computer while the car is warming up on cold days -- and see 4-8 mpg for the 1st couple miles.) Up to 12 mpg during warmer weather same trips. a/c usually on.

Road trip at 60-70 mph, about 16.5 mpg, a/c on.

1999, 5.9, 3.55 gears, 17" tires @ 33 psi, K&N intake, dino oil, 79k miles, heavy foot.

I've tried Mobil 1 and also Splitfire plugs in the past. I think both increased mpg a little, less than 1 mpg certainly. But the D seems to consume a little less dino oil, and the exotic plugs only gave those results when brand new.

RA
Hey! Welcome to DodgeTalk.com!!! :cool:

On another note, I guess I'll represent my 1.5L I4. :crazy:

26mpg Oooooooohhhhh yeeeaaaaaahhhhh! :rck:

· Banned
1,379 Posts
5.2 4x4
9-10 city (pending how much I get on it)
14-16 hwy (pending how much I get on it)(average speed 70mph)
11.5-13 combined (80-90%hwy)

I tend to really get on it when I get on the hwy so that kinda eats gas considering I do that atleast twice a day usually 6 days a week, sometimes 7. I also dont take off from a dead stop like a granny, nor do I take off from a dead stop like im in nascar, but you get the point. Ive been averaging 12-13mpg since feb. My two best recorded mpg on full tanks were 15.5 coming back from Redding driving lightfooted with cruise control and 14.4 driving light with a few long hwy trips about 95% hwy driving using cruise control. The Redding trip I had done some city/hwy driving there before I left but very light on the gas and most of the way home was on a downgrade which helped. I still wish I had the paper I wrote down my info on, cause I still had like 2 gallons left in the D but was up to like 350 miles on the tank. It was insane!

Later
Big John

· Registered
41 Posts
Hmmm i have had my Durango R/T about 2 weeks now. My girl drives it most of the time and according to the computer i average about 14.2MPG. I just took it on its first over 200 trip from phoenix to tucson and back(and im in AZ, so the A/C was blasting the whole time and I was carrying 5 people). It did ok.... It used about 3/4 tank there and back. But then again, i didnt buck for the R/T for the gas mileage. It was either this Durango R/T or the 01 Blazer ZR-2.

· Banned
1,379 Posts
TEAM_AED said:
i didnt buck for the R/T for the gas mileage. It was either this Durango R/T or the 01 Blazer ZR-2.
YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!!!

Later
Big John

· '99 Durango SLT
285 Posts
I also have a 5.2. I get a combined average of 14.5 - 15.5 mpg city and highway driving.

· Registered
217 Posts
9-10 City, 12-14 hwy... it's bad

5.9, CAI, cheap CA gas, lead foot.... You don't even want to know what I get when towing.... :eek:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody for the feedback! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one getting crappy gas mileage (its buying premium that sucks). But as TEAM_AED said, I didn't buy an R/T for gas mileage.

· Registered
41 Posts
r/t360 said:
Thanks everybody for the feedback! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one getting crappy gas mileage (its buying premium that sucks). But as TEAM_AED said, I didn't buy an R/T for gas mileage.
speaking of that premium, how much of a difference does that make? I have used the middle grade a few times and have not noticed a difference...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.