DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boomer Sooners
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i wake up to a phone call this morning from my wife asking me if i did something with my tailgate.(i thought she was playing a cruel joke), then i go out side to find it is in fact stolen. these things are not cheap 300 or so on ebay. but i guess i still have my truck. just some advice while i was on ebay i also found tailgate locks for about 25 after shipping way less than a replacement tailgate, seems worth it. why wouldnt dodge put these on straight from the factory? i had to pull my gate off my 01 for a roll pan weld and it literally took 10 seconds. you think they would make it a little more difficult to get, or lower the price. i am afraid to call the dealership for a price. oh well just thought i would vent

·
Yeehaw!
1,397 Posts
Damn this is actually the first time I've heard of a tailgate being stolen. Sorry to hear about it man, there is way too many dirtbags in the world today. I agree with you that Dodge should include locking tailgates from the factory, as should every other manufacturer of trucks.

·
Boomer Sooners
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but that seems to obvious. i almost went and bought a net but that aint right

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
We get tailgates stolen up here all the time,.. My boss got his stolen last month,.. so I went out and bought a poplock for my truck tailgate,.. keeps the honest man away at least.

·
Boomer Sooners
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow i didnt think it was that common i just figured someone wanted a ram head and stealing a tailgate is cheaper than 22 dollars, i dont know but man that sucks, tell your boss i feel his pain

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would be a little upset if someone stole my tailgate. I have a fairly dented up tailgate from heavy use and a new one courtesy of my insurance company would be nice :D
On the other hand I was very pissed when someone stole my chrome bug guard at the bowling alley. The thing comes right off with a phillips screw driver. The screws are exposed from the outside and takes less than a minute to steal. I think Dodge needs to keep parts theft in mind when designing vehicles and factory accessories.
But it does help the parts department sell more parts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hear ya mudchucker, it's pretty much run of the mill. I actually had one stolen in Beaverlodge. It's easier for [email protected]#$%^les to steal a tailgate than buy a replacement or have it painted. Since they are the first thing to get damaged when you load stuff, I wish Dodge would put locks on as well. I've had 2 stolen in the last 4 years. But luckily, most of the people around here haul fifth wheels and use aerogates, so it's easy to find a legal replacement.

·
LSU
1,286 Posts
i have heard of alot of tailgates getting stolen and taillights.. espically if you have your tailgate handle shaved. alot of people get a bed cover

·
Registered
49 Posts
360ciRAM said:
...I agree with you that Dodge should include locking tailgates from the factory, as should every other manufacturer of trucks.
That was one of the FEW things I liked about my '97 F-150 :eek:

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
Tailgates get stolen around here too so the first day I had my truck I put a Bully locking tailgate handle on there. Looks stock, and installs in about 5 minutes. Thinking about upgrading to a power lock though. Anyone have one of them?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
A cheap, quick thing to do is to put a stainless hose clamp around the hinge on the right side. You can paint it with cheapo rattle can paint to kinda match.

If the perp don't see it and have a screwdriver, he ain't getting it.

Another high theft item is the spare. Get a 'spare tire' lock too! It uses a key like wheel locks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
kenihemi said:
A cheap, quick thing to do is to put a stainless hose clamp around the hinge on the right side.
I like it! Keep It Simple, Stup.... :cool:

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
kenihemi said:
A cheap, quick thing to do is to put a stainless hose clamp around the hinge on the right side. You can paint it with cheapo rattle can paint to kinda match.

If the perp don't see it and have a screwdriver, he ain't getting it.

Another high theft item is the spare. Get a 'spare tire' lock too! It uses a key like wheel locks.
how much does the spare tire lock run for? And can you explain the hose clamp idea a little more

·
Website Designer & SEO
1,411 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I went to get the dents rolled out of my tailgate I was amazed on how fast they took the tailgate off. It literally took him him 10 seconds to remove it. Thats crazy. The people told me that there were 3 Dodge tailgates stolen at a local meat market in the middle of the day. To get a new tailgate and paint it to match is too expensive for my pockets. I looked for the jimmy jammer tailgate locks and cannot find anyone that sales them locally.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I don't remember the price of the tire lock, but I'm sure the above links will hlp you.

As far as the hose clamp tailgate thing goes;

Open and lower the tailgate. You will see a hinge on the right and the left.

The hinge on the right has a round piece on the tailgate that goes onto a hinge part that is part of the bed. That round piece is not totally round. It has a slot in the bottom that you can't see. Its there so that you can remove the tailgate.

If you put a hose clamp around that round outer part, it will cover the slot, so the tailgate cannot be removed if you don't first take the clamp off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.