DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats wrong with my car? how come the post that holds up the rocker arm shaft broke? how do i fix that? has this ever happen to anyone else before? how much will it cost? WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!? :help:

i dunno how to post images yet, so look at the problem in the garage thing on my car, please!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you kidding me! the whole thing!?!?!?!? how much is that gunna cost?
i have no idea how it broke, i was just driving along and it stared knocking really bad and it felt really sluggish and all the check this check that lights were flashing like nuts! it was scary. couldn't i just take it to a machine shop and have them mill down that broken part to a flat surface and have them weld the broken peice back on? would that work? ifso, how much would it be?

·
Registered
609 Posts
just go to a junk yard and pull a head off the same year range car it will be a bit cheper

·
Registered
609 Posts
i dont know you will have to find that out your self just go down to a you pull it junk yard and see how much they would charge...

·
Registered
35 Posts
i've seen this on caravans, even my own. MOPAR has reman heads that come with all the gaskets needed in one box. keep in mind a used head could do the same thing. the other option is a machine shop to install a stud.

good luck!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i really dont know what the phuck you just said, (like i said, i really dont know what this is, ive never seen it before) but, what do i say to them when i take in my head to a machine shop? and how much should i expect to pay them?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you choose to fix it or just replace it either way you will need to pull the head off.

I would call around and see what a machine shop will charge to fix a broken rocker mount pedastool. They should give you a price and then you would have to rebuild the head anyway because they would need to clean it up and clean out what ever metal is left over from the machine work.

Or just get a head from a junk yard take it to a machine shop and have them rebuild it properly and get some gaskets and replace it.

If it were me I would get a junkyard head and have it rebuilt and replace it. this is probably the cheaper route. And depending on how many miles are on the car it does not warrent a brand new replacement head.

And I don't have a clue as to how much it is going to cost, for that you will need to start calling around to find out prices.

And I don't think $75.00 is going to cover everything it will be cheaper if you do the work yourself but it won't be $75.00 cheap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man i really dont wanna take off that head. i allready broke a adapter and a ratchet on it already. but if thats what i gotta do, then thats it i guess! :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
DCkid said:
man i really dont wanna take off that head. i allready broke a adapter and a ratchet on it already. but if thats what i gotta do, then thats it i guess! :(

If you are breakin tools then you are not using good quality tools or you are using under sized tools. to take the head off you need a good 1/2 or better rachet and sockets. 3/8's won't help you out and you are going to need metric tools.

Also you will need a good torque wrench to retorque the head bolts to the right torque specs.

But personally I don't see how it can be fixed while it is still on the car. If you need a manual I have one for a 2.7

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya, i need new tools anyway. what do you mean when you say rebuild the head? how much will that cost? and no thanks, i got a manual and stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DCkid said:
ya, i need new tools anyway. what do you mean when you say rebuild the head? how much will that cost? and no thanks, i got a manual and stuff.
Rebuild the head means that the machine shop will/should clean it up, check it to see if it is warped, because it could have come off a blown motor, and re-face the valve seats, replace the valve seals and check the spring tension.

And I don't know how much it will cost, I have no idea about machining costs you need to call around to machine shops. The prices vary based on what you want done. You will have to buy a head, and pay for materials like seals and stuff and labor for machine work.

Or you can just get a junkyard head for 50.00 get a head gasket and install it and go then you take your chances.

If it were me I would do it right the first time, get a J/Y head and have it rebuilt and resurfaced. I understand you are on a limited budget but believe me you cheap out on this and it will cost you more later on.

My advice young man is to do these things.....

1. call around to junkyards and get prices for a used head.
2. call all the machine shops in your area and ask about how much it will cost to rebuild the head and what work they do to the head. AND you can ask if it is possible to fix your old one for less money and if they can do it while on the car.
3. Call a dodge dealer or a NAPA auto parts store and ask how much a new remanufactured head will cost. Also ask about prices for a head gasket, intake manifold gasket and what parts you will need to reinstall the head chances are they will sell a kit with all the stuff you will need.
3. Borrow a good torque wrench when you are ready to reinstall it, I think you can rent these from an autozone.

Bottom Line your choices are

New remaunfactured head
Or
Junkyard head
or
fixing your old one if it can be fixed at all.
+
costs of new gaskets and parts to replace the head

So add up all the costs and then you will know how much you are going to spend.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A new remanufactured head is probably the best comprimise. By the time you are done purchasing the used head from the junk yard (assuming you luck out and get a good one) and then pay to have it rebuilt, you are probably in the cost range of a remanufactured head that you "know" is OK out of the box. Fixing your old head - well, that is a cr*p shoot. It might work. But, it might not. And if it don't, could it mean a dropped valve busting a hole in a piston? And if you are on a limitied budget - even if your not - you DON'T want to bust a hole in a piston. My take on this, do it "right" - buy a remanufactured head. Do it "cheap", buy a junkyard head and just install it. Using your old head - to me - that just sounds dumb.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
I have repaired a few of those exact problems on a few vehicles from 3.0 and other v-6's. They ended up working flawlessly,didnt remove the head and a machine shop foreman seen the work and was impressed at what I had done. Its a pretty meticulous thing to do but I have done it,and got alot more glory miles out of the same vehicles.

Like has been stated above,your best bet is a salvage yard head and hope you get a good one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.