DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving stick with a TA I need better and quicker shift changes with this auto transmition.Any advice on a product and how much labor is involved?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I couldn't say for sure, but removal and disassmbly of the valve body is required. (This means draining the fluid.)
What transmission do you have? 727, 904 3spd or 500, 518 4spd
The reason I don't know is I upgraded mine from an old Hotrod magazine issue around '89. This had 4 holes in the transfer plate drilled out to 3/16". In also increased the line pressure from 54 to about 60psi, about 3 turns. This increases the shift rpm, firmness and sensitivity for kick-down.
Some kits are multiple stage so you can start at level 1 and increase to a higher level if desired.
--B-300--

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow you really know what your talking about.

My truck is a 98 dakota 4x4 318 v8 magnum 5.2L.I don't know what kinda transmission I have cuzz it hasn't broke down yet.I do change the fluids in both differential every two years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what about for a 5.2 with a 904 3 speed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 speed 5.2

I find it takes too long between shifts

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are soume people here that are far smarter than I, however there are good and bad ways to get a hard shift.

I know of nobody that finds fault in Transgo products. I think you have a 44RE or 44RH. You may have a 46RE or 46RH, but I don't think that they were used in the 2nd gens unless you got the 5.9. On my 1st gen, there is a sticker under the hood with the rpo codes, and I can see which one I have.

I would call the people at transgo, tell them what you have, and what you want and they can tell you what to get. Usually they have several different shift levels, some of which accomplish different things. I know the guys there know their stuff, I called them before about getting a kit for mine.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I had a Transgo kit in my old '69 van. It ran great! An automatic that could chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd....it was great!

·
Banned
95 Posts
He should have the 44re. Go with the shift kit I have, the trans-go tfod hd 2. Got it on ebay for about 80 bucks. It's "universal" for dakotas (except for the 4.7 and 3.7.) Make the shifts as firm as possible, you wont be disappointed. A lot of people go with a mid-firmness setting and only want it firmer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.