DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a weird noise from the right front wheel it is clicking fairly loudly, I thought that the ball joints were bad but that was not the problem, the noise was not as loud in 4 wheel drive. It seems that the transfercase is not disengaging from foru wheel on that axle, Is it possible that the axle shaft is bad, HELP PLEASE!!! I dont want to spend more money that i dont want. :help:

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Check the U-joint.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that everything is tight like i said before that didnt solve the prob

·
Registered
9 Posts
The U-joint that wirenut is talking about is the steering knuckle u-joint. My 01 was clicking like this and as i let it go it got louder. Realized it was coming from the right front and reached in behind the wheel and found the u-joint was loose.

It got quiet when the transfer case was engadged because when the power was put on the u-joint it centered the joint in the cage and the clicking was reduced.

The right front joint goes first because it gets all the water and salt from the curb side of the road. There are no grease fittings on the factory u-joints so there is no way to drive out the moisture.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input, I ll check again but those were both still tight. I grabbed the axle shaft by that nuckle and tried to wiggle it, but there was no play in it... would it be noticably loose
if it was bad,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the joints were not bad, because I changed the left front one, what else could be bad, and can this joint be bad and still feel tight

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I had some similar noise in my front left, and after new axle joints and hub bearings, the sound went away...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hub bearing is my guess. I just replaced that and the u-joints on the right side for that.

·
Registered Insane
200 Posts
If you decide to do the hub bearing, you might as well do the u-joint. You have to pull the hub to get at it and since you're already there, save some effort.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
I had a clicking noise that turned out to be the drive shaft u-joint. The drive shaft was tight. No play at all. The needles were shot. Yes they can be bad and still be tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.