DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes i start reading a thread and and everyone if disscussing the best type of something to use.... i find myself wondering what some of them even are! lol if someone could just explain what it is really quick i'd appreciate it.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I have no idea whan an exhaust brake is too...so can somebody explain it to me too?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
An exhaust brake is mounted to the engine so that it cuts the cylindar off to help slow the engine speed down. It's also known as Jake Breaks and that what you hear sometimes when a big rig is coming into town and slowing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it is used for engine breaking? slowing the truck, saving the actual breaks?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, on tractor trailers and other large vehicles it helps slow the vehicle with out over working the brake system. Almost like down shifting in a car. It makes a very distinct noise if you are ever around big rigs on the road, you'll hear it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, an exhaust brake amounts to a valve in the exhaust manifold ( or just down stream) that, upon activation, closes and lets you use the engines compression to slow the truck.

How does an exhaust brake work?

If you own a diesel you know that when you take your foot off the throttle, your diesel virtually free wheels. Add a 6 - 8 percent grade hill to the equation and the result is overheating brakes, brake fade and a good chance of a runaway.
An exhaust exhaust brake turns your engine into an air compressor, which absorbs energy and the resulting retarding effect slows the engine and vehicle quickly.
Installing an exhaust Exhaust Brake not only provides safer braking, it can also save you money. Reduced maintenance costs on your service brakes is a significant direct cost saving. If you use an exhaust brake all the time, as it was designed to be used, you use your service brakes considerably less. This means that the pads, shoes, rotors and drums last longer and you save money.
The Jacobs Exhaust Brake® is a device that mounts in the exhaust system of the vehicle, and restricts exhaust flow when activated. It is virtually silent when in operation, and provides retarding power that is proportional to engine RPM. (Always stay within engine manufacturers recommendations). It is typically used on class 2 through 7 (medium duty) vehicles.

The Jacobs Exhaust Brake is a supplementary braking system used to help slow your vehicle. This slowing power is achieved by restricting the flow of exhaust gasses and increasing back pressure inside the engine. This increased back pressure creates resistance against the pistons in your engine, slowing the crankshaft's rotation and ultimately helping to slow your vehicle.
Do a GOOGLE! ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
google doesn't like me... tries to take me to bad places, never where i want it to go!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
You know you wanna go to those places too... lol

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Micaiahfied said:
Sometimes i start reading a thread and and everyone if disscussing the best type of something to use.... i find myself wondering what some of them even are! lol if someone could just explain what it is really quick i'd appreciate it.
Exhaust brake is a valve in the exhaust manifold that when activated creates back pressure which slows the vehicle. The Jacobs engine brake (Jake brake) has solenoids that control oil pressure operated valves which change the exhaust valve timing to basically turn the engine into a big air compressor there by slowing the truck. :gr_patrio

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Cool, thanks for the information guys.

·
KTM Rider
163 Posts
So, does it make that loud noise on the CTD's just like it does on the big rigs? Kind of obnoxious sounding on them.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I think it sounds kinda cool.

Now that I know what a Jake Brake is, I have paid attention to how they sound.

It sounds pretty cool.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys i really appreciate the responce!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
No, they're not nearly as loud... but they do make some noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.