DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Grrr!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear guys talking about resonators all the time, but I have no idea what they are and where they are. From what I understand they reduce exhaust noise. I'm going to get the gibson super sport exhaust this christmas and I want to know if taking off this resonator would make things even louder! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
854 Posts
A resonator is one part in exhaust systems that works with the muffler to reduce noise, by making sound waves "cancel each other out". The "exhaust note" is an important feature for many vehicle owners, so both the original manufacturers and the after-market suppliers use the resonator to enhance the sound.

· Grrr!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just to make sure I understand, when i put in my new exhaust it will cancel it out?

· Premium Member
23,001 Posts
If you do a cat-back kit, you will loose 1 of the 2 resonators, I had a exhaust shop remove mine before the cat, and install a straight pipe ($20)..

The rear resonator on an aftermarket exhaust kit will almost make your truck sound stock..but with an extra sound of deepness.. Removing it, makes it sounds pretty good.. Removing both.. makes it sounds REAL NICE without being loud, but people then know for sure you have exhaust!

· Premium Member
23,001 Posts
If you lay under your truck, you will see them. 1 is right after the rear axle. The other one is just AFTER the cat. huge long tube like things. That huge one in the middle is the muffler.

Like I said, if you do the cat back, you will lose the one by the axle.

· Premium Member
23,001 Posts
WAIT! I was wrong!!

The aftermarket kit will get rid of them both IF they ask you if you want to lose the resonators..

Here they are.. My kit didn't come with it, and that is why I had an exhaust shop remove that pipe for me. Aftermarket kit may ask if you want the delete resonator, and if so, they will send you a 16" pipe to replace the resonator..

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
I think the OP has a 4.7 don't think they had the resonators in 2002...but someone with a 4.7 should chime in and clarify. For sure the 4.7 doesn't have the rear resonator.

· Grrr!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gibson exhaust that i'm getting is just a muffler and and tips right before the right rear tire. How hard is it to take the front one off?

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
My 02 didn't have the resonator when I had the cat-back portion replaced.

· UCF 2012
616 Posts
Al-josh

I think thats the 4.7 version of the hemi resonator behind the rear axle. Smaller because its not as big an engine.

· Premium Member
23,001 Posts
Jared Anderson said:
The gibson exhaust that i'm getting is just a muffler and and tips right before the right rear tire. How hard is it to take the front one off?
It came be hard. It just unbolts.. just depends on how well the two parts were bent in together.. or rusted together..

· Premium Member
23,001 Posts
Yup. Not by a whole lot, but it will be a little louder.

I have a Flowmaster 50Series with no res and it is pretty loud. I love the sound. Almost like an old school muscle car. It get looks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.