2,122 Posts
kansasdjjj said:
What brands and weights do you use?
List your engine size also!
Oil ?
Tranny?
Diff?
2004 1500 HEMI 4X4 545RFE:

Oil = Royal Purple. Have been using 5W-30 because the manual in 03 & 04 calls for it. I am going to try 5W-20 this next change( on Monday ). DC switched to 5W-20 for 05's and my dealer says Dc is now recommending all HEMI's be switched to it. Supposedly the 5W-20 totally eliminates the HEMI tick, gives a tad better feel to the thottle, and even helps MPG a hair as well. I have no great expectations that going from 5W-30 to 5W-20 is going to gain me HP and MPG but ANY help in either is gladly accepted. The main reason I am trying the 5W-20 is for the HEMI tick. I only have a very slight one since I started using the RP. It was really bad before I switched to it. If running 5W-20 gets rid of it then I am all for it. If it doesn't then I will go back to 5W-30.

Differentials = I have a 1500 4X4 w/ 3.55's. The front and rear call for different weight gear oil. 75W-90 in the front and 75W-140 in the rear. I am again going to run Royal Purple. Am having the 15K service done on Monday and RP will be used.

Transmission & Transfer Case = MOPAR ATF +4. To preserve my power train warranty on the transmission and transfer case I will use the MOPAR fluid. It is the "ONLY" ATF +4 certified fluid available at this time. None of the aftermarket oil companies, NONE, make one. There is no option but the MOPAR fluid where the manual calls for ATF +4 if you wish to preserve your warranty. Once my PTW expires, if I still have the truck, I will start using Royal Purple MAX ATF. It is compatible with the ATF +4, and actually a better quality fluid, it ujust doesn't meet warranty needs so I won't use it now even thouygh I could without any mechanical issues. If Royal Purple or Red Line ever come out with a certified ATF +4 fluid I would run it in a second. However, that probably won't happen.

· Registered
495 Posts
NAPA Synthetic 5w-30 engine,
MOPAR ATF+4 trans
Supertech 75W-140 synthetic, rear end.

Father in law's 93 DAK 4x4 3.9
NAPA 10W-30 dino in engine
NAPA 75W-90 synthetic in trans
NAPA 85W-140 dino in rear end.
Never changed transfer case of front diff.... need to though

· Registered
555 Posts