DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Dodge Ram SC Short Bed. I want exhaust that are not going to be to loud, but will still grab the attention of everyone around. I was wondering if Flowmaster is a good choice???? What would work the best?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Personally i think all those "custom" cat back exhaust setups are a rip off...all it is is a 3" pipe with a chambered muffler and you might as well cut off the mufflers....but if you got the money to spend and your lookin for a brand name, ive heard good things about magnaflow and flowmaster

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I have the Flowmaster 50 series SUV. It sounds really nice. It is a low tone, but not to harsh. When you step on it, it stays a nice deep tone, just louder.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I also have the Flowmaster 50 series SUV. On my truck it's loud from 2,500 - 3K then it quiets down a little and sounds like crap. That probably has a lot to do with it being a V10 engine. I think it would be quieter if I left the cats on and finished welding it. The muffler cost me around $100 shipped.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I agree, mine also quiets down over about 3000 rpm. I think the 40 Series are louder and more aggressive sounding at higher RPM's. I sometimes wish I had gotten something a little louder, but I also have a nice quiet highway ride with this muffler. I have read that the 40 Series (because it is louder) drones in the cab at highway speeds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Gibson I have is just plain loud(I love it). The more miles I put on it the louder it gets. Very "stock car" sounding when you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't mean to be "ghetto" LOL...

But, I've had no mufflers for 4 years, and I've had people say "is that Gibson? Is that flowmasters?" When I say "just straight piped" they are like "no way!". But that's just me. I haven't had any complaints by the neighbors yet...and my Cobra is louder than my truck :)

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
i have straight pipes off the cat and to me it sounds mean and loud but it is definitley not too loud in the cab, at highway speeds it is actually not loud at all (inside). Straight pipes are not very expensive and to me they're the only way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bobem12 said:
i have straight pipes off the cat and to me it sounds mean and loud but it is definitley not too loud in the cab, at highway speeds it is actually not loud at all (inside). Straight pipes are not very expensive and to me they're the only way to go.
How does that sound, and what do you use your truck for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
be a little skeptical of those cat-back 3" systems. i have an '01' 318 and your pipe from the cat is only a 2 1/2" stock... after that restriction it doesn't matter what size pipe you're running... i think you best bet would be to pony up for an unrestricted 3" cat and weld that in place at the same time you do the rest of the system. then you'll actually be getting the performance to go with your mean new sound... and these dodge's do sound mean as hell!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I went 2 1/2" true duals with 5" X-pipe, 2 high flow cats, 2 flowmasters. I immediatly gained 50 miles per tank full in town, and its an attention getter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
the way i see it a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe and since im not runnin a muffler the whole exhaust system is the same as any "performance" system without the $300 price tag...just my .02 though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking about getting the Flowmaster Force 2 exhaust system for my truck. I want to have the flowmaster sound and performance, not a sound that nobody wants to be around!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I understand your question ADR Dodge 318. I'm saying a Gibson may not be right for you, also it sounds like duels or an open pipes isn't the answer either.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
ADR Dodge, i have the a 360 but i'm guessing a 318 would sound similar but anyway straight pipes sound good. it has a little cackle but that quiets down at highway speeds. it sounds very mean, i had my brother drive it the other day around by our house because i had never heard it :D and it will definitley get your attention but it is not what i would call obnoxious as i have heard trucks that are and it is not that loud. for the price straights are a very good deal. my $.02

edit: forgot to answer other question, i use my truck as a daily driver. the only way i could see the straights getting annoying (i think this is why you asked this question) is if i were to be towing and had od off. even then it really wouldn't be that loud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know how much this helps, I just did my exhaust today, since the cat on there was dual in single out, I had it cut out and put in a dual in/ dual out magnaflow and 45's. It sounds pretty good, just had to weld the bung for the O2 sensor in one of the pipes and on the 90 mile trip back no problems. Its not too loud but it gets attention, I also noticed better top end response and 30 miles more than I have ever gotten and I was getting on it some.

·
Kinda Newbie
201 Posts
My dad wants me to put a piece of pipe in place of the muffler on his '97 5.2, otherwise leave exhaust stock, including the cat. I wonder how that will sound.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I figured since there were so many posts on here about exhaust I would write my own. I want to know does anybody have a 3'' in/out high-flow cat,headers and a single 3'' catback system? If you do. Do you happen to have a before and after dyno run? If you did not have a dyno run did you feel a difference? What about mpg? Lastly did the cat throw a check engine light? SORRY SO LONG...These are all mods I'm looking at performing on both my 98 5.9 RAM and my 99 5.2 DURANGO..THANKS FOR THE HELP AND/OR ADVICE....DAN

·
mope
531 Posts
KJRich said:
My dad wants me to put a piece of pipe in place of the muffler on his '97 5.2, otherwise leave exhaust stock, including the cat. I wonder how that will sound.
It will sound good. I had my 98 5.9 like that for a while, and it sounded mean as heck at idle. When the RPM's got up above about 3,000 it did quiet down just a bit. Now I have cut off the cat, and put in a custom magnaflow exhaust with 3 1/2 inch tips. It is deep and powerfull, and only gets louder the higher the rpm's!! :rck:

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have a 98 5.9 with edelbrock headers, and a Gibson Sport truck exhaust system. First i would have to disagree with rufnredi responce about Gibsons being very loud. Its a loud exhaust, but not that loud. It also gets very quiet once it switches into OD. It almost sounds like you dont have a catback on the highway(depending on what speed you are going) Also the gibson like most other catback exhausts lightens out at around 3k rpm. I added headers not to long ago, and they didnt make the truck much louder at all. Its more aggressive sound, thats deeper. but not much louder. No check engine lights, and a small jump in MPG. The headers gave me a nice power increasement in the high RPM's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.