DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a not too loud exhaust that has some performance gains. What do you all suggest? I was leaning towards Borla. Any sound clips out there?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey I have a Magnaflow muffler dumped before my rear-axle, it isn't very loud at all, a little cab drone, nd it sort of wakes up at full throttle. I heard that single in/single out was better for performance, that's why I left the piping alone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I recently put a 5x8x18 magnaflow on mine and have it dumped
up by the spare tire so it is hidden. sounds great! pics and sound clip are in my gallery

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
I also have a Magnaflow, single in/out, useing stock pipe, resonator and Magnaflow rolled tip, and the sound is great, everbody that has heard it, or drove my truck really like it, its like stock, maybe a little louder at idle or cruiseing, but when u put the hammer down, or just gas it some, is when it roars and people really hear a great sound!!!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
I have always been told that magnaflow makes the quietest mufflers, but I dont think you are going to see much gain though from just a muffler swap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here are some links to a couple great systems that i've heard very good things about. ESPECIALLY the Corsa.

Corsa Sport Edition Cat-Back

Magna Flow Cat-Back

Gibson Sport Cat-Back

Gibson Super Truck Side Exit Most Gibson Customers prefer this kit's sound a little more then the other.

Hope this helps you. The Corsa is expensive but an awesome kit. The other 2 are also very good kits, and i used to have the Gibson but i wanted to have the loudest truck in town so i removed mu muffler, although by your description of what you want it sounds like a perfect kit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I currently run the Borla Dual Exhaust exiting behind each wheel.
See my Gallery for a sound clip of it.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
Grayhemi you already have a good 3” exhaust system with mandrel bends. The stock 05 Hemi muffler is very restrictive and accounts for almost half of the restriction in the entire exhaust system. The catalysts are the other half. The y-pipe could be better but that’s a little bit more involved to fix. I installed a Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Muffler #17229 (3" offset inlet and 3" offset outlet) in place of the stock muffler and left the 3" single tailpipe with the stock resonator in place. The muffler is 19" long overall and the body is 14" long. My muffler shop had to add some 3” pipe to both ends of the muffler to make it work, but it was no problem. Be sure to cut the stock tailpipe just to the rear of where it necks down to go into the back of the stock muffler (2.75”.) There is little to no restriction or pressure drop across the stock resonator so it will not reduce performance very much, if at all, to leave it on. The muffler was $76.31 with tax and has a $50.00 mail in rebate. The final cost for the muffler was $26.31. I paid a local muffler shop $45.00 to weld it in. Total cost with labor $71.31. I couldn’t be happier with the deep, powerful, but not to loud sound, that has very little to no resonance in the cab. The engine definitely pulls quicker through the higher RPM ranges now. This setup will not give you a 5” chrome tailpipe tip, if that’s what you’re into, but it will save you close to $300.00, and will perform just as well as any almost any exhaust system out there short of full length headers, high flow catalysts, and a high flow y-pipe. Now take that $300.00 and put it toward some other mods. I’m looking at AIRRAM’s cold air induction kit myself, which will be money well spent. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input. I am just looking mainly for a little more sound, but nothing too loud. I've been there done that before in car mods, so I know that headers and a different Y would help out more, but I don't want to go that route on a truck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got a fever...a fever for COW BELL! That's the best avitar EVER! :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Remove your muffler and replace it with straight pipe.
It'll save you some weight and increase your mpgs.
It'll idle nice and quiet and ROAR when you put your foot in it.
No one will be able to deny that you own a TRUCK.

Stock exhausts are too quiet and restricting . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a Magnaflow put on my 2005 QC Hemi 4x4. Initially I kept the resonator on but I went back and had it removed. I have a nice rumble at idle and it will quickly build up to a roar. Not obnoxious, but nice. My mpg seems to be about 1 mpg better also. Mine uses the stock pipes but with a rolled chrome tailpipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.