DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going over the spec sheet on my truck and noticed I have 3.92 axle ratio. I know nothing of this topic. So what does this mean for me and my truck??? :dunno:

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
not neccisarily, he might not have limited slip

the higher the number the lower the gear, the lower the gear the more rpms/off the line grunt you have

disclaimer: these RPM numbers are fictional numbers I just pulled out of my ass

the two gear ratios available are 3.55, and 3.92, and some people upgrade to 4.56

now, lets say
60mph: 3.55's --> 1600 rpms
3.92's --> 1800 rpms
4.56's --> 2000 rpms

now what this means is, if you hit an incline with 3.55's, your truck will downshift and use more gas to get up the hill an 4.56's and 3.92's

however, on a flat grade at 60mph for long periods of time, you'd get th best mileage possible

so the higher the gear number, the better city mileage and acceleration, the lower the gear number the slower the truck, and the better pure highway mileage

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let add more to my question. I guess what I am looking for is how well this ratio works for pulling/hauling compared to the others offered and since I have the HD front axle, how will this work for plowing should I ever get one?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I didn't know 1500 4x4s even really had a front axle...

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
they don't

you can't plow with a 1500, and they don't have a heavy duty front axle, they're IFS, all they have is a differential

·
Registered
984 Posts
You can plow with them, you're just better off putting a plow on a 2500. My dealer said they could get me set up with a plow when I bought my 1500, but I told them I'd wait and see if I wanted it when the time came.

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
John Lichtenwal said:
I was just going over the spec sheet on my truck and noticed I have 3.92 axle ratio. I know nothing of this topic. So what does this mean for me and my truck??? :dunno:
Hey John, glad to see someone from NEPA on here.... I'm in Delano.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jmbones said:
Hey John, glad to see someone from NEPA on here.... I'm in Delano.[/QUO

Sorry, but I never heard of Delano before. I just checked out the map and found out it's not that far away, maybe a 1 hour drive.
It's good to hear from someone else from these parts. :rck:

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
Sorry, but I never heard of Delano before. I just checked out the map and found out it's not that far away, maybe a 1 hour drive.
It's good to hear from someone else from these parts. :rck:
ya not too far at all, my GF works in the pharmacy at Gnaden Huetten and im actually going there for an I.T. interview this week.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmbones said:
ya not too far at all, my GF works in the pharmacy at Gnaden Huetten and im actually going there for an I.T. interview this week.

Good luck..hope it works out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.