DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dunno, useful yes, unattractive yes? I dunno, I don't like it just yet.

-MatthewM

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing that stopped me from buying this weekend were the wheels. I dislike the 17" wheels they put on the truck. I had the 20" wheels on my 2004 Quad cab, it looked much better. I just can't get over the 17" rims...

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
If you have a big family or big people in your family, it's ideal. For me, it would be perfect as the smallest person in my family is my wife @ 5'8", and then the rest are all over 6 feet tall with the tallest at 6'9". Had they made the Mega Cab when I bought my truck, I would have bought it and never looked at the regular crew cab.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I really like mine. I needed the room for 3 kids-two teens and a 8 year old. The regular quad cabs just didn't have the leg or seating that would be comfortable for them all. Since we do a bit of traveling with the camper-some days 12+ hours in the truck, it's a must to have stretching room. I tow a trailer that's 28ft and weighs in loaded at about 7000lbs. I've got 2500 miles on it since I got it at the end of April and adding the mods I did improved things to my liking.

I am chosing not to use bigger tires or lift it-for a few reasons. One, the drop bar that I'd need for towing would have to be custom made. Two, I am 5'3 and none of my kids are that tall either and being all girls, you do have to think about them getting in and out in high heels and dresses. :D It's our main family vehicle so what others might do are out of the question for my needs.

Gas mileage-I have the Hemi- has been better for me around town than my Suburban was. Highway, was about the same, but it keeps improving as the miles go up. I've been getting about 360 miles a tank-and I don't complain about that at all. Most get the Cummins and one of the guys here in my area has that and likes how it performs.

I waited a long time for Dodge to come out with a vehicle big enough for my needs and to do everything I needed it to do. This truck does the job for us nicely.

Nell

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a 2 year old and another diaper-filler due in 3 weeks. When they get older, I'll probably trade my Quad Cab for a used diesel Mega Cab. If they had started building Mega Cabs in 2003 or 2004, I would have bought a used one a couple of months ago. I didn't want to spend that much for a new one since this is our third vehicle.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hermosa said:
The only thing that stopped me from buying this weekend were the wheels. I dislike the 17" wheels they put on the truck. I had the 20" wheels on my 2004 Quad cab, it looked much better. I just can't get over the 17" rims...
Ummm....you know you can change the wheels and tires, right?

As for the Mega Cab, I hated it when it first came out. The pictures of it made it look awkward and bulky. After seeing it in person, I think they are awesome. I think a CTD Mega Cab is somewhere in my future! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hemi Freak,
I really like the stock 20" wheels, I didn't want to start looking at afternarket stuff, the pricetag on the nice stuff is insane. The 17" wheels just look funny on the 2500, I guess they can grow on you. Out of all the trucks I drove this weekend, I liked the Dodge Hemi 2500 Mega the best, and it had the best fit and finish. The Ford fit and finish wasn't bad, but their interiors are so drab. The Chevy was a real dissapointment, fit and finish were poor at best, and that dash and gauges are the same ones they have had for years. For pete's sake Chevy, make some design changes inside and out!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hemi Freak,
They have a White 2500 Mega cab 4x4 with the Cummings at the Lafayette Dodge dealership, I like that one the best so far, but will probably not go with the Cummings for price reasons and stay with the Hemi.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I bet that you would have an easy time finding OEM 20's to purchase from someone. So many truck buyers swap out their wheels, that you could probably find a pretty good deal even on this site.
I would say, don't decide against the right truck just because you don't like the 17's. There are too many other more important factors.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hermosa said:
Hemi Freak,
They have a White 2500 Mega cab 4x4 with the Cummings at the Lafayette Dodge dealership, I like that one the best so far, but will probably not go with the Cummings for price reasons and stay with the Hemi.
I didn't know there was a dealer in Lafayette!!! I've never been there. Are they small? Good to deal with? I've purchased my two current vehicles at Stoneridge in Dublin, and they are typical dealers. Always acting like car salesmen! Even the service dept. I wish there was a better choice here locally.
(psst...BTW...it's spelled CUMMINS (there is no g at the end))

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HemiFreak,
The problem there is the Mega 1500 uses a 8 bolt wheel from what I have learned, so I can't use the 20" wheels like I had on my 2004 1500 Quad cab, they are 5 bolt. The 1500 and 2500 Mega cabs are similar running gear from what I am learning. If it was a 5 bolt, then yes, I would pick some wheels up from someone who swapped them out.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm not a big truck fan . I like the lowered look , but after seeing lifted trucks here I can appreciate them. The mega cab is awesome in my opinion. I seen a red lifted one with big tires on it , it was cool. I would say go for it!!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hermosa,

Are you thinking of a 2wd or 4wd? If you are getting a 4wd then you could go with a bigger tire on the 17" wheel and go with more of a 4x4 look. I still say go for it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hemi Freak said:
I didn't know there was a dealer in Lafayette!!! I've never been there. Are they small? Good to deal with? I've purchased my two current vehicles at Stoneridge in Dublin, and they are typical dealers. Always acting like car salesmen! Even the service dept. I wish there was a better choice here locally.
(psst...BTW...it's spelled CUMMINS (there is no g at the end))
Ha! Cummins.... got it! Yea, the dealer in Lafayette is right off the 24 freeway, small town dealer, super nice, small stock of cars, but they work with several other dealers. I walked in Christmas Eve 2003, told them what I was looking for. By the time I got home, they left a message saying they located three with similar packages. I called them back, told them what one I was interested in, they had it at the dealer the day after Christmas all washed and waxed. At this point, we didn't even have a deal made, they did it just beacasue. All of this with not even a handshake or deposit, class act in my book. I was happy with their price, and took it home.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hemi Freak said:
Hermosa,

Are you thinking of a 2wd or 4wd? If you are getting a 4wd then you could go with a bigger tire on the 17" wheel and go with more of a 4x4 look. I still say go for it.
Yes, going again with the 4x4, the only way to go. I could go up a tire size or two... Hmmmm...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hermosa said:
Yes, going again with the 4x4, the only way to go. I could go up a tire size or two... Hmmmm...
Go with a nice 305 or 315 tire. Will look great on a big substantial vehicle like the Mega Cab without looking like a big lifted truck. Or you could even go with a 2" or 3" levelling kit with 35's like I have (at least on a 2500, not sure about a 1500 mega cab). Would bring great balance to the overall look of the truck IMO.

I'll have to check out that dealer. (hmmm....you say they have a Mega CTD in white, huh? Uh oh! "Um, honey, guess what I did today!" :D )

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first thing I will do is level it out, I hate the rake on those trucks. The tires may be my ticket...

Yea, they have a White Mega and Dark Grey Mega with the CTD. They have a Grey Hemi Mega and a Black hemi mega too.... all 2500 series 4x4. Gerard or Tim are teh sales guys, realy nice, no pressure at all. Almost too laid back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hermosa said:
I'm so close to buying this thing, it looks to have a lot more room than my Quad cab did. Any thoughts?

I have the 1500 Mega cab.... My first Dodge (had Ford and Chevy's) interior is truly huge. Laramie leather package is nice. Will agree with other poster that fit and finish is above the others. Researched the Titan and Doge Hemi, then test drove the both. while the Titan has a strong motor and quicker off the line, the Hemi is very strong even with the heavier mega cab... The interior roominess and fit and finish sold me. 3 teenage kids and dog in back with plenty of leg room. I do miss my Ford powerstroke diesel, but the mega is not my daily driver so I went with the Hemi... $4k for the CTD will buy alot of gas. Just wish the Hemi Mega cab was 400 hp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.