DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right So what do you tow with your 4.7?
Give pics
gears (3.92, 4.10,4.56)
Helper springs ..airbags or just stock
Truck discription (03,4x4,QC SB..etc.)
Gas Mileage
and if you can tell us the story if you have one about the tow.

So here is mine

Two weeks ago I got a call from my son's scout master
"Ummm Mr. Meek we were wondering if you could come help us get our trailer unstuck?"
Sure Ill be right there

They were camping in a creekbed and the trailer had gotten stuck
The truck pulling it was a brand new Chevy 2500 Oil burner
it didnt have 4wd or any lockers in the rear and they couldnt get the truck or the trailer out of the creekbed.

Well The little 2003 4.7 4x4 QC SB shows up, hooks up (and I'll tell you what that trailer is a lot heaver that it looks) It takes 5 guys to lift it up enough to put it on the Dodge and they cant lift it for long. Anyway it pulls the trailer up about a 40% grade muddy hill! Woohooo !!!!!

So The Dodge has now be made the offical unoffical tow rig of the troop. LOl even when the Chevy shows up they try not to use it .... LOL God I Love my Truck!!!!!

Attachments

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
look im my garage we have a trailsport 27 ft camper 3600 empty weight

loco

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn thats a big ass trailer ..woohoo

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,158 Posts
My 02 4.7 4X4 with 4.11's currently tows a 26' Prowler and sometimess a 24" Riverboat that my friend owns. i believe the Prowler is heavier..

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
here is my 02 4.7
I have towed alot this is just a few things i plan on getting helper bags later on and i wnat to regear to 4:10s i think to keep my highway mpg still good.

i have also towed a buick lasabre (4500 lb dry weight) and i tow lawn mowers all the time, My dad has not le me tow the camper yet but its a 29 ft travel trailer but i knw it will pull it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my towing experience

i dont have any pics to share but i can tell you that i mostly tow other vehicles including my drag car. i have a homemade car trailor that i bought and later found out that it weighs 2600 pounds empty and i have towed a 1985 ford station wagon, a 1975 1/2 ton ford pickup and a 1977 ford 3/4 ton pickup, it pulled them easy enough except that i couldnt get into over drive. but i had 35x12.50's and stock gears. (3.92) on the other hand i did drag that same trailor with a 4000 lbs car through 1 1/2 foot of mud
:cool::gr_patrio

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know its not a Ram, but I pull a 21 ft ski boat(about 5000 lbs with all the gear) with my 2003 4.7 4x4 5spd Dakota. Specs are:

-HO Cams
-4.10 Gears, Posi
-Gibson Headers
-Ram Air Intake
- Flex a lite 180 E fan (removed clutch fan)
- 68mm Fastman TB
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter (NV3500)

This pic was taken at Yuba Lake, UT a couple of weeks ago. The Dak pulled it very well in 100+ degree heat. I was able to maintain 75 mph easily, never overheated with AC full blast, and averaged 15.2 mpg.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics and stories guys ...Keep them comming!!

·
Rockin' the free world
152 Posts
Here's what I'm towing home Saturday...

Bringing "Funky Thing" home to Colorado after storing her for a year down in Texas at my Dad's.

Tow truck is a 08 1500 QC SB, 4.7L, 3.92 rearend with 20" wheels.

Funky Thing is 1964 Chevy long bed stepside sporting a 283 cu in. v-8 weighing in around 3,300 or so lbs

:rck:

Attachments

·
Swamp Yankee
1,201 Posts
Funny thing is I would rather own that old Chevy than any other vehicle on this entire site! And that is not because it is a chevy, it's because thats when they used to make trucks right!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i hear u there bro

·
Rockin' the free world
152 Posts
thanks for the comments...
Got almost 18mpg unloaded/no trailer on the way down...
Got almost 11mpg loaded on the way back up...about the same as the old Chevy's gas mileage on a good day

·
Registered
275 Posts
02 1500 4X4 4.7 Auto trans, completely stock drive train including 3:55 gears. Stock size tires (245) upgrade to same size with “LT” rating. Shocks changed to Monroe Reflex, Equalizer hitch and a few lighting upgrades and creature comforts. But basically a stock truck.

Loaded weight of trailer normally runs between 4,000 - 5,000 lbs. and another 500 lbs in the back of the truck. Usually a sleigh that sticks up above the cab along with a few other items. The sleigh will be about a foot or so above the cab and this really hurts mpg, towing or not.

Fuel mileage - (with overdive off for all towing) – 9-10 pulling @ 68-73 mph. Better if I slow down to 62-67 (10-11 mpg). Even better at 55-60.

I encounter a lot of hills (mountains to you flat land guys) down here in the south where I am. If open flat lands, mpg would be better.

I happy with the overall performance. I have heard hemi guys complaining hauling a lot less than I do!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I tow a older 24' TT at about 5300LBS with mine no problems. It actually out pulls my father-in-laws 05' Tahoe w/5.3 and lighter trailer on the hills!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
NC to TX

I own a 2002 Dodge QC with 4.7 with 3.55 gears, I used a Uhaul double axle trailer to pull a 1989 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z with all the bells. Anyway, From Fayetteville, NC to Beaumont, TX I averaged 15 mpg traveling an average speed of 65mph. Thought I would share. Love the truck.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
our trail sport

·
Registered
546 Posts
well, i dont pull very much...but when i do its usually a uhaul trailer of some sort... i just recently bought a '86 camaro Z28, so thats what it will be pulling for a long while :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
tow vehicle: 08 q/c.4.7 310 hp stock,20" tires,3.92 posi,2 wheel drive.recent trip from bristol tn to hernando,fl.(about 650 miles one way).average mileage for trip 13.0. on way down towing a flatbed car trailer(2400 lbs),misc gear,2 big guys,tools, probably add another 1000 lbs.lots of hills between bristol and the n carolina/s carolina border.most of georgia,fl, flat going.on trip back we added the weight of a motorcycle in the bed and an antique car on the trailer.aded weight of these items about 3500 lbs.so total weight of people,cargo,trailer and car on trailer was almost 7000 lbs.i.was able to use overdrive on the level and small hills. needed to switch to the tow haul mode on the bigger hills.what really amazed me was how the cruise control would keep the speed on even the steepest hills on i-26 in nc.the tranny would shift down and the tach would be at about 4k.this new 4.7 has some real punch when you spin the rpm's up.tows better up hills than my 06 f-150 did with the 5.3 300 horse motor.after this trip i have no doubt that this dodge can tow my 30 foot camper.we were not trying get maximum gas mileage as we only had 2 days to do this trip.if we drove a little slower and there were less big hils,the mileage probably would have been 15 mpg or better.i noticed when coasting down the steeper hills,the cruise control would attempt to keep you from over speeding by unlocking the torque converter and creating some engine braking.if you wanted to use the downhill to coast and gain speed,you had to disengage the cruise.also, we used 87 octane for the whole trip with no pinging or performance issues.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts