DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only 4.7 owners please. i'll be towing my 97 coleman pop up and an 86 mustang notchback.

i haven't towed anything yet, just curious on how it will do. i have an 03 with the tow package, 3.92's and 20" wheels

i did a search but it's tough to weed through all the posts with the hemi/cummings guys in them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had towed a two axle 1000 lb open trailer with a 3000 lb car on it with my '05 4.7 Ram quad 2x4 with 3.92 gears. It did well enough. Then I got a 3500 lb enclosed for the 3000 lb car... The 4.7 Ram did not like that. So I went with 4.7 212x cams, 4.56 gears, electric fan and a cold air intake. It still hated towing that enclosed rig. I exceeded its capability.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Havent towed with mine yet, but possibly doing so this weekend.

My gear ratio is 3.55 though. I have the 4.7L as well, and mine is a 4x4.

·
RE2
65 Posts
I, too, have towed the open, two-axle car carrying trailer with a 3000lb car on it. No trouble at all.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i tow a 21ft boat and i have towed a car with it with no problems. the boat is around 6500lbs loaded, maybe a little more. i have the 3.55 open so you should be perfectly fine with the 3.92's.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
It seems that the folks with the 3.92, 4.10, and 4.56 have the fewest problems towing. I have the 3.55 and I was able to tow a 3K trailer. The truck did well until I got into the mountain passes and once there, I had problems with the truck getting hot. I believe the 3.55 gear is just too tall for towing. I believe if you have the higher ratio in the rear axle the load on the truck is less and over-all the trucks performance and fuel mileage is better.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
dmcelhannon said:
It seems that the folks with the 3.92, 4.10, and 4.56 have the fewest problems towing. I have the 3.55 and I was able to tow a 3K trailer. The truck did well until I got into the mountain passes and once there, I had problems with the truck getting hot. I believe the 3.55 gear is just too tall for towing. I believe if you have the higher ratio in the rear axle the load on the truck is less and over-all the trucks performance and fuel mileage is better.
yup, very true. where i live is very flat, thats why i have no problems. i do want at least 4.10's, just dont have the money right now.

·
15,912 Posts
I tow a 6x12 Utility trailer as well as our 31' 5600lb travel trailer. When I had the 3.55 gears it SUCKED towing the TT. Now with the 4.10's I do not have any problems. The hills are still tough, but manageable. If you have never towed before, just remember to stay calm and relaxed and no sudden movements. Stay smooth. These trailers can get away from you in a heartbeat and you will be in a world of trouble. Here are pics of what I tow.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
All I ever towed with my 4.7L, well there used to be two, then one and now none. :) Also don't have the 4.7L anymore either. I loved that truck though.

KB

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's what I tow with my 07 4.7.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Some shots of Slammed1's 4.7L towing.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is a 2WD with 3.73. The prior owner towed a 5th wheel camper with it. I forget the model, but it was big. So far I have just towed other vehicles using a tow bar.

It seems to have the guts to do it, and pulling other trucks I never felt short on power. I LIKE the 4 wheel disk brakes. They make a HUGE difference to my older vehicles in the same situation.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Palf said:
Mine is a 2WD with 3.73. The prior owner towed a 5th wheel camper with it. I forget the model, but it was big. So far I have just towed other vehicles with a tow bar with it.

It seems to have the guts to do it, and pulling other trucks I never felt short on power. I LIKE the 4 wheel disk brakes. They make a HUGE difference to my older vehicles in the same situation.
i didnt think you could have 3.73's on a 1500. i guess im wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DannyMK2 said:
i didnt think you could have 3.73's on a 1500. i guess im wrong.
It came equipped with a towing package and somehwere in the original paperwork it said those gears. I haven't pulled and checked the gears on my own though. I may need to pull out all the papers again and see what everything says.

EDIT NOTE: Danny you may be right. I can't seem to find anything, so I must have been looking at specs on another truck. I guess they are the standard, which is what 3.55 or something like that.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
you either have 3.55's or 3.92's. i would get get under the truck and read the plate on the differential. easiest way to tell. 3.73's only come on the 2500/3500 trucks.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
let me just say people dog the 4.7 but it has been just great for me.. ive hauled everything from a 741 bobcat and small tractor,8 large round hay bails to yes 9 tons of dirt it hauled with no prob stop'n was the only prob till the brake controler started to work right.. the truck just lagged a lil going up hills but it didnt have any problems up and down the roadlove my truck just wish it could get a lil better gas mpg... and xmas is coming toooo

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tow a two horse trailer with 2 horses around 4000 lbs with 33's and it does great.

Attachments

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
Might be the Dakota V8 Magnum badge, I've got one on my truck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.