DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to hear some feedback. Anything good to say? I'v seen alot of negative stuff on here. Any comments good or bad are welcome as long as the're fair.

2004 Ram 3.7 qc 5sp
17" wheels 3.92 gears

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
My brother has an 03 3.7 with 3.55's and it is a pig...That motor is way too small for a fullsize truck. He has added an intake and exhaust so far, and although they did help, it is still slow as dirt.

Only problem he has had in it is a busted upper radiator hose though which isnt bad for 75,000 miles.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
hemi is right. and it doesnt really help you have 4 doors and more weight. my truck has 43330 on it right now with the current mods below. and yes i do 1/8 miles in 12 secs. itz quite fster than a stock. but this time and apperance will change with all do time and money. dont think the v6 is out of the league with the 4.7 and 5.7. hell if u wanted to get real HP and torque get a Paxton 4.7l super charger. KRC says i will bolt right up. i just aint in the ballpark to throw that much down.. and dont want to go THAT fast that QUICK..

Cold Air Intake - Ebay.com Or Aftermarket Brand.
Airram Scoop and powerwire- Airram.com
Exhaust- Local Exhaust Shop or Name BRand Website.
Electric fan- airram.com moesperformance.com
Bored throttlebody- www.thefastman.com
rearend gears- airram.com
Cams - krcperformance.com
25% ASP pulley - https://www.aspracing.com/ezRetail/search/view.php?msg_id=356

·
Registered
998 Posts
TheSilverV6 said:
hemi is right. and it doesnt really help you have 4 doors and more weight. my truck has 43330 on it right now with the current mods below. and yes i do 1/8 miles in 12 secs. itz quite fster than a stock. but this time and apperance will change with all do time and money. dont think the v6 is out of the league with the 4.7 and 5.7. hell if u wanted to get real HP and torque get a Paxton 4.7l super charger. KRC says i will bolt right up. i just aint in the ballpark to throw that much down.. and dont want to go THAT fast that QUICK..

Cold Air Intake - Ebay.com Or Aftermarket Brand.
Airram Scoop and powerwire- Airram.com
Exhaust- Local Exhaust Shop or Name BRand Website.
Electric fan- airram.com moesperformance.com
Bored throttlebody- www.thefastman.com
rearend gears- airram.com
Cams - krcperformance.com
25% ASP pulley - https://www.aspracing.com/ezRetail/search/view.php?msg_id=356

How did all of these mods affect your gas mileage?

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
close to 30mpg highway when on a good day wind at my back :)
dont no really intown the drivers where im at r total morons :VHOT:

it did great.. i go like almost 1.5weeks without gas and thats with my lead foot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at a dealerships site and then dodge's site. dodge is still puting 3.7's in the quadcabs. For those who laugh at that, I guess dodge isn't hearing you. I was looking earlier this year at rams. I thought dodge had decided to drop the 3.7 from everything except the reg cab short box. So why are they building so many 3.7 quadcabs if they're supposedly underpowered? I'm glad they make them cause they're affordable. They get ya around town alright if you don't do heavy work and need passenger space. I love my qc v6. And whats the deal with fuel economy. I get 16 mpg all city. how can you get better then that with a v8? if two engines(v6 & v8) are both turning say 1500 rpms shouldn't the engine with the fewer cyl use less gas? I can drive in town at 35 mph in 5th doing 1100 rpms and the engine is humming along just fine. maybe if I start winding it out to redline in 1st at every take off I can start gettng the mpg that others are reporting. :) But seiously, how the heck are you people getting 20+ mpg if your not driving all highway?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, I can go a whole month between fill ups. I just fill up twice a month because I don't like to see the tank below half during winter. and I drive the truck daily.

·
1,965 Posts
I get 16 in mine in town if im easy on it. I know im a RC but im also on 20's..Sry as hard as all the v6 guy's try the only reason to get one is because there cheaper than a 4.7 or 5.7. Unless you want to compare 4mpg atmost although some 3.7 say they do really well on the highway.

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Laetus_Lupus said:
I just looked at a dealerships site and then dodge's site. dodge is still puting 3.7's in the quadcabs. For those who laugh at that, I guess dodge isn't hearing you. I was looking earlier this year at rams. I thought dodge had decided to drop the 3.7 from everything except the reg cab short box. So why are they building so many 3.7 quadcabs if they're supposedly underpowered? I'm glad they make them cause they're affordable. They get ya around town alright if you don't do heavy work and need passenger space. I love my qc v6. And whats the deal with fuel economy. I get 16 mpg all city. how can you get better then that with a v8? if two engines(v6 & v8) are both turning say 1500 rpms shouldn't the engine with the fewer cyl use less gas? I can drive in town at 35 mph in 5th doing 1100 rpms and the engine is humming along just fine. maybe if I start winding it out to redline in 1st at every take off I can start gettng the mpg that others are reporting. :) But seiously, how the heck are you people getting 20+ mpg if your not driving all highway?
An underpowerwed engine has to work harder to move the heavy weight of your truck. My brother has a rc/sb 3.7 with an exhaust and a cold air intake, and still gets about the same mileage as my heavily modified 5.7.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not a fan of the 3.7. My 02 RC/SB had this power plant and a 5 speed. Had to have then entire timing system and lifters replaced at 75,000. Mind you, I drove it daily and serviced it regularly. My 07 QC with the 4.7 gets 2 MPG less than the 6 because it had to work so hard. I can actually pass someone now without much drama.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
TheSilverV6 said:
of all people HEMI i though u would have got him to get better gears :O
He doesnt want to spend the money on gears because he knows it is a V6...Nothing against anyone who is modifying a V6, but he just doesnt want to. The exhaust and intake were hand-me-downs from my truck so he got them free. He is saving his money so that he can get a Hemi in his next truck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree, I traded in my '02 3.7 SC for an '06 5.7 QC; and they get about the same MPG. The SC was sluggish once past the half a tank mark, with no weight in the rear end except the fuel, when you got low, it got squirrelly, and had no power. I cannot imagine that engine in a QC, it would have to suck. The engine simply doesn't have the power to carry the weight of the SC, little on the QC; it seems like smaller engine would get better MPG, but not when it has to work harder to pull the load.

·
Registered
441 Posts
07ThunderRoad said:
Not a fan of the 3.7. My 02 RC/SB had this power plant and a 5 speed. Had to have then entire timing system and lifters replaced at 75,000. Mind you, I drove it daily and serviced it regularly. My 07 QC with the 4.7 gets 2 MPG less than the 6 because it had to work so hard. I can actually pass someone now without much drama.
Same here. The 3.7 I had was a nice starter truck for in town driving, but I hated taking it on the highway. To me i got better mileage in town that in the Hwy. the 4.7 is completely opposite, no regrets in trading up to my 4.7.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I just got an '02 with SC with the v6 and auto. I don't mind it to much as far as power. It is good for getting around town. It definetely doesn't have the power that my '03 4.7 with 5-speed manual and mods got, but I like it so far. Can't really beat this truck since I only paid $4k for it and it got me out of my nissan frontier. Has a ton more power than that poor little truck had.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
silverbullit said:
I just got an '02 with SC with the v6 and auto. I don't mind it to much as far as power. It is good for getting around town. It definetely doesn't have the power that my '03 4.7 with 5-speed manual and mods got, but I like it so far. Can't really beat this truck since I only paid $4k for it and it got me out of my nissan frontier. Has a ton more power than that poor little truck had.
why would you go from a 03 4.7 to a 02 3.7? tired of the 5sp? and your big ram with the little v6 has got more power than the little frontier? wow I'm never getting a frontier then

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like the same truck I have lol. I personally don have anting good, ro bad to say about it, its about what you would expect form a truck this big and a tiny motor. I didnt really have much of a choice due to finances when i got mine, but, looking back on i now, I should have waited til I could afford a HEMI, or, had I waited till now, I could have bought a regular cab SRT10

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I got my Black 06 RCSB Ram in Nov of 06 ..I loved the truck but it was way unpowered and I had the 5 speed ..so in aug I traded it in on a 07 QC Hemi

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
well, i've had my truck(v6 rc/sb 5 speed) for about 6 months now, and i can honestly say that i love it.
i get shitty gas mileage but its a good truck. i dont haul anything, its just a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Laetus_Lupus said:
why would you go from a 03 4.7 to a 02 3.7? tired of the 5sp? and your big ram with the little v6 has got more power than the little frontier? wow I'm never getting a frontier then

Well I bought a house about 2 years ago, and sold the '03 to make things easier on me. Got a car, didn't like it. Bought the nissan from my dad, then this ram came along for a good price and I wanted back into a full size, so here I am.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.