DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
09 HEMI
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 24 in. wheels about 3-4 months ago. :rck: I have seen tons of trucks with them :VHOT: :VHOT: :mad: :mad: , 1 - 94 Lowered ext chevy (22s), 1 - 93 Lowered ext ford (22s), 1 - 07 Chevy Tahoe (24's), 1 - 2004 Lowered Avalanche (24s), 2 - 2004 Supercrew (24s), 1 - 2003 lowered superscrew (22s), 2002 GMC sierra lowered with 22s. and today I went to the wheel shop and saw that someone was getting them on a 2003 GMC Yukon (24s)... I'm like WTF!!!!!! :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT: I told the owner of the shop.. i see everyone with them and I DONT WANT THEM ANYMORE.. He told me to trade them in and get me a different set. What do yall guys think? It could be good since i could get a set that wont rub * WITH THE RIGHT OFFSET!** ;)

·
09 HEMI
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats 10 trucks and i bet i am missing some!!!

OH YEAH, the guy told me that those wheels sell fast! i guess they liked the wheels on the lowered sc sb hemi! :rck:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with the price of those 24's than it has to do with the looks of them.

Why do you think 22" eagle 025's and boss 304's are so popular?

Answer= There pretty much the least expensive 22" around. It helps that they look good too, but raise the price of them $500 to $1000 and I bet you'd see a lot less of them.

Buy some one-off Boyds or Foose and your problem will be resolved. :D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I think 22s are the best looking

I have 20s and admit 22s would look better BUT I didn't want to pay the $$$$ and then have to upgrade the brakes which would be more $$$$

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't need to upgrade your brakes for 22's. My braking is actually better with 22's. It's my opinion that anything over 33" will need upgraded brakes.

I say if they are the rims you REALLY want then get them anyways, it's about what you like, not about what others have. If you can't get over the fact alot of others have them then save your pennies and get a custom set of rims made for your truck. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
airscamed1 said:
You don't need to upgrade your brakes for 22's. My braking is actually better with 22's. It's my opinion that anything over 33" will need upgraded brakes.

I say if they are the rims you REALLY want then get them anyways, it's about what you like, not about what others have. If you can't get over the fact alot of others have them then save your pennies and get a custom set of rims made for your truck. Good luck to you!
It ain't just the size of the wheels it is the weight of the rotating mass
22s are pushing it for brakes IMHO

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've got 20s and I'm thinking that 17s would look better . . . but that's me.

·
09 HEMI
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wELL IM THE ONLY DODGE SO IM GOIGN TO KEEP THEM FOR NOW

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
what wheels are they? I was pretty much the first person to get my wheels and im sure by next summer ill see 10 more sets. lol. But i had them first in my area. so thats all that matters.

·
Infinite Lives
6,499 Posts
Putting a new Braking system for 22's is optional.It would help but not necessary.When I had my 22's the truck did take a bit longer distance to stop but it wasn't as much as now with my 23's,yes 1 inch makes a difference.Now with 24's you should upgrade,I drove my buddy's ram with the 24's and I thought I was gonna go through the back of a nissan sentra because of the weak brakeing.But yet again this falls in to the "EACH THERE OWN" Catagory.

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
airscamed1, you are right. You don't have to upgrade the brakes if you're going to 22's. It's just stupid not too.

·
Registered
890 Posts
360Plus said:
airscamed1, you are right. You don't have to upgrade the brakes if you're going to 22's. It's just stupid not too.
It's stupid not to upgrade brakes if you go to 22's???? :huh: :huh: :huh:

What makes you say that?

I think some people need to take a physics class before they call anyone out here. Nobody has taken into consideration that the 22's might be lighter, and nobody has taken into consideration that the tires more than likely have more contact patch.

Unless the new 22's weigh considerably more than the stock 20's, I wouldn't worry about it.

It would be interesting to do a poll over here to see how many people upgraded their brakes "because" they went to 22's.

I know I still have the stock braking system on my truck, and I have no complaints. Feels the same as stock to me. Is that not normal?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
cskit1500 said:
havent had any probs with my 22's and have 50k miles on the wheels tires and brakes :)
Pictures we want pictures of your truck

·
Now Hemiplus
1,835 Posts
Physics? Ok, you're right in that rotating mass is the big concern and I may have jumped a little too early saying you'd be stupid not to do the brakes. But, equally important is where that mass is located. Even if the weight of 22's is the same as stock 20's, the mass is now located further away from center which increases the centrifugal force. It's been a while since I had a Physics class but I think the mass is inversely proportional to distance away from center. F = (mv^2) / r I'd google it but I don't care enough. Anyway, my stock brakes did not impress me either way and then when I threw on the heavier wheels and tires... Well, brakes had to be addressed.

Ok, so I did care enough to google it and it checked out. Physics class...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have only seen one other vehicle with my neeper vandals on it and it was a car. I love my wheels. I upgraded my rotors when I went up to 22's mainly because I had the money to. THere is no "need" My buddy has been running stock brakes with 22's and he drives the hell out of his truck in scca events, huh slvr! LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.