DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 dodge 4x4. I gave the vin number to the parts guy at my local dealership. to find out the particulars of my truck. I wanted to know the gear ratio, the transmission size, the transfer case type. I was just curious as to what my truck has on it. He said his computer only goes back to 91. How do i find out more about it?

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
There should be a option tag on the bottom of your hood with all that printed on it. Its under a clear protectant coating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you have overdrive you have a 518 tranny if you just have d21 you have a 727 tranny..... if you want to find out the rear lift the tires of the ground and spin the tires if you have a 410 the driveshaft will spin 4 times and the tires should spin 1once

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
if you have overdrive you have a 518 tranny if you just have d21 you have a 727 tranny..... if you want to find out the rear lift the tires of the ground and spin the tires if you have a 410 the driveshaft will spin 4 times and the tires should spin 1once
Only if he has a limited slip rear end. Jack one back wheel up and see if that wheel spins freely. If not the differential is the sure-grip (limited slip), if it spins free it's an open diff. If it is an open rear, with one wheel off the ground,turn the wheel one revolution and count the griveshaft revolutions. mutiply the driveshaft by 2 and you have your gear ratio. 1 1/2 turns = 3.00 to 1 and so forth.:gr_patrio

·
1st Gen Ram Enthusiast
105 Posts
Even if your options sticker is gone, your fender tag should be located somewhere under the hood on the inner fender or under the wiper cowl cover. Mine is a '91 and I found it under the cowl cover. Just look through the drainage vents on the cowl on the passenger side and see if you can see it. Remove the cowl cover and write the codes down, then call the dealership back or search for a 1st-gen Dodge Ram fender tag decoder online.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Probably a N.P. 241D transfer case, 9. 25 Corporate rear end with 518 auto tranny or N.P. 435 4 speed manual, Dana 44F front axle,(3500 lb.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.