DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what was done to increase the horsepower of the 08 4.7 Durango, and is it something that is adaptable to an 06? Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas?

·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
they changed alotta parts. it now was dual spark like the hemi so it now has 16 plugs. new heads and i think a compression change

·
Registered
365 Posts
The real question being how many of these new parts from the 300hp 4.7L will fit onto the 230hp 4.7L? Is it worth it to swap out all these parts like the pistons, crank, heads, cams, intake and whatnot? I would think the biggest gains would be made from the cams, heads and intake manifold.

·
Registered
256 Posts
sebringdroptop said:
The real question being how many of these new parts from the 300hp 4.7L will fit onto the 230hp 4.7L? Is it worth it to swap out all these parts like the pistons, crank, heads, cams, intake and whatnot? I would think the biggest gains would be made from the cams, heads and intake manifold.
By the time that you did all that you might as well have bought a new D.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
or just swap out the entire engine. but then there is the fact of the tranny!! they don't make things easy anymore. or cheap!

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's basically what I was thinking. How much would you end up spending (between parts and labor) for 70hp? $2-3K? For that price I could just pick up a Hemi and basically bolt it right in.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Copterdrvr said:
Does anyone know what was done to increase the horsepower of the 08 4.7 Durango, and is it something that is adaptable to an 06? Thanks.
:dunno: maybe a BLOWER? That SUCKS! I like to know as well!:D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Chrysler’s first truly new V-8 since the 1960s, the 4.7 had better power, gas mileage, and emissions than the 5.2 liter engine it replaced; a new truck V6, the 3.7, was based on it, replacing the 3.9 liter V6 based on the 5.2. The engine was reportedly designed as a replacement for the venerable 4-liter AMC V6, with the 3.7 to replace the AMC 2.5. In 2007, Chrysler replaced the 4.7 liter V8 with a new version. Power went from 230 hp to 290 hp (and up to 320 lb-feet of torque) with that move; gas mileage went up, and noise and vibration went down. The new 4.7-liter V-8 features 5.7-Hemi features such as two spark plugs per cylinder, with a high 9.8:1 compression ratio, and better port flow; but it has a new slant/squish combustion system design.

Refinements included significant revisions to the induction system, reduced reciprocating mass via a lightweight piston/rod assembly, and reduced accessory drive speed. A new normally open valve lash adjuster system smooths the engine at idle, while electronic throttle control is needed for new stability systems.

Taken from AllPar.com

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I heard the new 4.7 has a little over 200 rwhp, where the old 4.7 design has 170+, wonder where a the drive line loss is?

·
Registered
365 Posts
dizzyD said:
I heard the new 4.7 has a little over 200 rwhp, where the old 4.7 design has 170+, wonder where a the drive line loss is?
I would have to see some proof of that before I believed it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks, now I have my answer! I think I'll let sleeping dogs lay.

Copterdrvr

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I love to see Proof also, Just a Dodge claim, though!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Copterdrvr said:
They added a guinee pig to spin the crank instead of a hamster! LOL!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.