DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while taking the subs out, i slipped and made a slite rip in the outsize foam area...do i need to send them back, or r they ok? Will it decrease the sub sound?

Attachments

· Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,294 Posts
well, they won't be covered under warranty or be eligible for a return as far as i know. however, many have taken a silicone based product ( anything that will bond and remain flexible) and have successfully maintained the sound and quality of the sub. you should be ok. you can also take them to a shop to have a new surround put on.

· Registered
211 Posts
as long as the cone still moves in the right direction (axial to the magnet), you should be fine. the surround doesn't do anything except act as a spring to pull the cone back to its neutral position. if it's damaged too badly it could make the excursion path crooked, and that would give you sort of a phase-cancelling effect as the two opposite sides of the cone moved differently. hard to say... plug 'er in and see how it sounds by itself... then try just the other one of the pair and compare, then run both together. you should be able to tell if it's damaged or not. good luck!

· Registered
155 Posts
Ok....take some clear fingernail polish and put a couple of coats on it. It'll make it air proof, which is what you need. I've done it before and its the only possible fix.

· Registered
155 Posts
Super T said:
... the surround doesn't do anything except act as a spring to pull the cone back to its neutral position.... luck!
not quite completely true. The cone also serves as an airtight rim. If you have your speaker in an inclosure, you want it to be air tight. Fingernail polish, posted above, or some silicone rubbed on is the only way to restore the air tight environment you need. Luckily they are 10's. 12's are more vicious and sometimes blow the sealant off.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Best fix, send in for a re-cone (to replace the surround). Why.......the surround controls the centering of the Voice Coil, seals the box / baffle, controls the travel of the woofers cone.

Adding silicone (or other type flexible sealant) will fix the surround but will also effect the above....it may pull the surround off center and change how the cone travels......

Finger nail polish, dont do it.......it is not flexible and may melt the surround if it is not compatible with the solvents found in the paint (guess what.....finger nail polish is paint....not glue).

Find a local recone shop in your area to do it right......

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a good silicone based substance, for now, and i will have to see how it will work out...as far as getting them re-coned, i think it would be cheaper to just buy a new one, since it was only $60. I'll see how it works out. Thanks for the tips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.