DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting 4.56 gears for my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4. I am ordering from AirRam, the AAM 9.25 front and 10.5 rear kits with master install kits. Someone said "if you need a new Carrier". What is this about, and if I need a new carrier, why?

Current stock gearing is 3.73

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Anyone swap gears without needing a new carrier? :help:

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
You shouldnt need a new carrier unless yours is messed up for some strange reason. I had 55,700 miles on mine with the same diffs you have and they used my factory carrier with no problems. So I think you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
X2 ... if I remember correctly, it was not until the 08 model that the rear housing was changed. But even with the change, you can still install the 4.56 R&P if you grind a small grove the back housing.

:)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to see if I notice an improvement in low/mid range with 4.56 gears vs these 3.73s:rck:

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
X2 ... if I remember correctly, it was not until the 08 model that the rear housing was changed. But even with the change, you can still install the 4.56 R&P if you grind a small grove the back housing.

:)
I think it was only the 1/2 tons with the 9.25 rears that you needed to worry about grinding the housing or the pin to get the 4.56 to fit. The 10.5 rears came from the factory with 4.56 gears in the Power Wagons so no mods should be needed to get em to fit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FYI...when someone says you may need a new carrier, its because different axles and gear ratios take different cases, or carriers. A lot have a break for all gears up to 3.73 taking one carrier, and 4.10 and up taking another. So if you had 3.55s from the factory and were going to 4.56s you would need a new carrier. As you go to a higher gear number, the pinion gets smaller....and the ring gear needs to move closer to it...thus a different carrier.

But, that's not the case for your axles it looks like. Looks like it's just one carrier for all gears, so you should be set.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help, 2 weeks will be new 4.56 gears, and new wheels/tires:cool:

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Well actually... there has been a poll up for the last... I dont know, 4-5 years... It shows the trend of the 9.25 Rear Carrier... If you have not paid any attention to it and looking to replace your gears NOW IS THE TIME to look at that poll... Its an EYE OPENER!

"ANOTHER BROKEN "C" CLIP POLL"

The "C" clips are actually the CLUTCH PACK RETAINING CLIPS used to hold the clutch packs durring assembly.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
FYI...when someone says you may need a new carrier, its because different axles and gear ratios take different cases, or carriers. A lot have a break for all gears up to 3.73 taking one carrier, and 4.10 and up taking another. So if you had 3.55s from the factory and were going to 4.56s you would need a new carrier. As you go to a higher gear number, the pinion gets smaller....and the ring gear needs to move closer to it...thus a different carrier.

But, that's not the case for your axles it looks like. Looks like it's just one carrier for all gears, so you should be set.
FYI .... The Chrysler 9.25 will take all the way up to a 4.88... Even if it came with 3.55's... The 4x4 8.0 fronts will accept up to a 4.56 gear ratio.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well actually... there has been a poll up for the last... I dont know, 4-5 years... It shows the trend of the 9.25 Rear Carrier... If you have not paid any attention to it and looking to replace your gears NOW IS THE TIME to look at that poll... Its an EYE OPENER!

"ANOTHER BROKEN "C" CLIP POLL"

The "C" clips are actually the CLUTCH PACK RETAINING CLIPS used to hold the clutch packs durring assembly.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
This won't pertain to me though, right? As I have the 2500 with the 10.5 rear axle. I'll be ordering my set from you soon, hopefully within 2 weeks, providing you don't jack up your prices:D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Your right... I looked breifly at your sig and did not catch the 2500... my bad.

Your safe...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.