Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I suppose... LOL
Maybe I'll deal with it till after gears are in.

They had a warranty on them, do you think it would be covered that they are "excessively noisy"?

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
There is a product that you can apply to the back of the pads before you install them in the calipers. Basically it's brake dust that gets caught between the rotor and the pad that causes the resonating ( Squealing ) Do not apply on the face of the pad that contacts the rotor. I have never had a problem with any brakes that I have ever done. Ceramic pads are great but really hard on rotors, buy the best quality rotors that you can get and not the cheap knock off ones that have inferior metal....the cheap ones will warp on you quickly.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
Juat remembered the product name....it's call Disc Brake Quiet, small tube that looks like orange silicon

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Almost all cases of brake squeal comes from the contact between the back of the pad and the piston. The pistons material matters quite a bit in deterring noise, for instance metal pistons will cause more squealing then phenolic (plastic like material) pistons. My truck uses metal pistons, not sure about the new rams. Now when you buy pads make sure you find pads with shims built into the back of the pad, try and stay away from the flimsy metal shims that you place on the back. When you change pads make sure to clean the surface of the piston well. As for having to buy new pads to stop the squeaking, you don't need to you can take sand paper to the pad and the rotor. Ceramic pads in my experience squeal like crazy (at least on my truck) but alot of poeple say they don't squeal as much, ceramic will warp rotors faster as the do not dissipate heat as well as metallic, and ceramic does not leave the same horrible brake dust metallic does. The anti-squeal stuff does work, but if you have a good set of pads that are shimmed right you shouldn't need it.

Picture 1) Shims that are added to the back of a pad (do not use these)
Picture 2) These are pads with built in shims, try to find pads like this, they will probably run you upwards of 50 dollars but its worth it.

Attachments

·
Banned
244 Posts
how could the pad rub on the caliper and cause a squeel? its fixed on the caliper. its caused from not bedding your breaks correctly. to bed them right do the following-

1. drive at about 35-40 and slow down to about 5 fairly slowly, do not slam on the breaks. do this about 5-6 times.
2. then go up to about 55-60 and do the same thing about 2-3 times
3. then go to like 70-75 and stop fairly fast
4. park your truck and let it sit for an hour or so to let the brakes cool.

ive never had brakes squeek on any car after doing this.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.