DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dodge dealer periodically sends me coupons for different maintenance services such as oil changes etc. Today I received a coupon for a $89.00 transmission tune-up so I called to schedule a service date. When I told him that this was for a 2001 4X4 he then told me that the price for my truck would be $150.00. This is not for a transmission flush but simply for a fluid drain, new filter and band adjustment. He also told me that they do not do transmission flushes on low mileage transmissions (40,000) and advised me against it. I did not argue but it seems that his advice goes against everything that I have been reading on these boards.

My question to you all is this...
Should I stay away from this dealer and find another dealer who will do the flush or is he correct in his advice to me. Also, what are you all paying for a simple transmission tune-up? I hesitate to take my truck to any of the transmission shops such as AAMCO, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had mine done at AAMCO- it actually feels like it made a difference, shifts smoother and more accurately-if that's possible, have 42,000 miles on mine. Costs was 64.95 but when they got started they said the ATF+4 was 17.00 more- so I got it for about 85.00 total.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i paid about $75

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I would strongly advise against a flush. Everything that I have read on the forums for the past few years seeem to indicate that a flush can do far more harm than good. It often dislodges particles that get trapped in bad places in the tranny and can lead to a partial or full overhaul on the tranny.

Go with the drain, fill, filter, band adjustment. Sounds like the dealer is doing a bait and switch on the service versus the advertised price.

·
Registered
281 Posts
canyonD said:
I would strongly advise against a flush. Everything that I have read on the forums for the past few years seeem to indicate that a flush can do far more harm than good. It often dislodges particles that get trapped in bad places in the tranny and can lead to a partial or full overhaul on the tranny.

Go with the drain, fill, filter, band adjustment. Sounds like the dealer is doing a bait and switch on the service versus the advertised price.
On the contrary, it IS a good idea to flush the tranny. As long as the flush is done BEFORE the tranny work. This way, any particles will be removed when the pan is dropped.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
What tranny work? I am basing my comments on others that have experience problems after routine flush with no tranny work.

What are you basing your recommendations on? I dont have personal experience, just have foolowed the posts on the issue for a few years and it appears that almost everyone that had a flush had problems.

·
Registered
281 Posts
By tranny work, I`m referring to a maintenance service. Not a problem job.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I must agree w/ canyon. A couple buddies are life long mechanics. One guy is a legendary tranny man in our area. His advise to me has been not to flush for the fact off floating a bad piece of crap to a good place for a rebuild. Now, maybe he has said that about my trannies because of higher miles ie 60,000 plus on the vehicles I have had him service.

I have heard several stories about engine oil changes like "never did that till I changed oil" No, these guys never heard of changing oil on a regular basis though. But the tale rings true as far as moving a piece of debris from a remote spot into a critical area.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.