DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a week ago one of my infinity door speakers decided to let go... so now Im looking to replace the speaker/speakers... If I can up-grade from factory infinity speakers thats what Im looking to do... If I can find a replacement speaker... that would be fine as well... Honestly the factory infinity system was pritty good and served me well. But if I can up grade to a better sound than the factory infinity system then thats the way I plan to go.

So what is out there for us? I found this auction for "KICKER" speakers

E-BAY KICKER AUCTION

.... anyone have any experience with them... would they be an upgrade to what I have already? Or would I be better off just replacing the bad speaker? I do plan to add a sub one day soon...

HELP!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I have aftermarket Infinity stuff, Kappa's in the Doors (6x9), and Kappa Perfects in the rear (5.25). When I got them installed, the shop was impressed with them...they usually do the same 'ole Kicker/Memphis/JL, etc.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
I think my infinity's sound good. Better than my parents GM vehicles with the BOSE.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I replaced my stock (non-infinity) stuff with Kicker. This is the second vehicle I have equipped with Kicker, and I really like them. Kicker has a reputation as just being loud, but in reality, they make a very nice sounding speaker, especially if you go the component route, wich you already have with the infinity.

In my Dakota, I ran 8" woofers in the door, and 1" tweeters in the factory location, with 5-3/4" 2-ways in the back for rear fill. It was very sweet. Most people heard it and asked how much I had to pay for sound like that...LOL. In my ram, I am just running 4 6-1/2" kicker 2-ways in the doors and a single 12" kicker sub in a Hotbox.

With your infinity system, the 6x9 in the door only puts out bass frequencies, and the dash speakers and the door tweeters take care of the rest. I would replace the door speakers with a 6" or 8" mid-bass woofer. You shouldn't need a crossover, the infinity already takes care of that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put new Infinity Reference speakers all around in my truck. 6x9 in the front and 5.25 in the back. When the shop installed them they had to cut a bigger hole for the 6x9's because they said the infinitys are a little bigger than 6x9. But I love them, they are a very good quality speaker. I added a sub too and it rounded everything out very nicely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put Infinity Kappa 3.5 in the dash and Kappa 5.25 in the rear and the new Kicker 8" freeair subs in the doors. Sounds pretty good on the factory amp....but I will be putting in a 4-channel kicker amp and a hotbox with a type R 10" with another kicker amp soon.
The Kappas are a very crisp sounding speaker alittle on the bright side.

·
Northernmost Chevy Killer
385 Posts
I have heard kickers and while sounding good I still have to go with inifinity aftermarket.I'm running 3-way kappa 6x9's in the front and 6.5's in the back. I had to roll the lip of the opening in all four doors for them to fit right and had to run the included spacer up front. They are simply breathtaking. I have benn running infinity for years and have had nothing but good things to say.I am finally running a full infinity system. Amp,sub, and full ranges.Thinking of adding another amp and two more subs though. :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
118 Posts
brandonh420 said:
I have heard kickers and while sounding good I still have to go with inifinity aftermarket.I'm running 3-way kappa 6x9's in the front and 6.5's in the back. I had to roll the lip of the opening in all four doors for them to fit right and had to run the included spacer up front. They are simply breathtaking. I have benn running infinity for years and have had nothing but good things to say.I am finally running a full infinity system. Amp,sub, and full ranges.Thinking of adding another amp and two more subs though. :rck: :rck: :rck:

Its all personal taste when you get into sound systems. I had kappa's in my Dakota before I went with the Kickers, they were all 4 6.5" 3-ways. I had an old PPI amp that fried and took everything with it, so I had to replace everything except the head unit.

I actually liked the Kickers better. The Kappa's were a little too bright for my taste. Not bad at all, but just not what I wanted.

I have a very specific taste in sound, I tend to fall in love with a set of speakers and suddenly hate everything else....LOL

·
385 Posts
Lattimer said:
Its all personal taste when you get into sound systems. I had kappa's in my Dakota before I went with the Kickers, they were all 4 6.5" 3-ways. I had an old PPI amp that fried and took everything with it, so I had to replace everything except the head unit.

I actually liked the Kickers better. The Kappa's were a little too bright for my taste. Not bad at all, but just not what I wanted.

I have a very specific taste in sound, I tend to fall in love with a set of speakers and suddenly hate everything else....LOL

That's exactly it. Personal taste. It's a shame that you can't try the good stuff before you buy. At least up here. I think I'm more sold on infinity because everything I have purchased has been top notch so I feel comfortable buying more without hearing it. I'm buying a ford ranger soon and I think that will be an all kicker truck. They have more of it up here now so I know how it sounds. I'm gonna build a custom box and let my imagination be my guide.

·
ITS SO SLOW !
1,653 Posts
Kicker or infinity are both excellent choices , i have used both and cant complain about either . Elemental designs are also a dam godd sound set up . Its all in your personal preference bro . I know you have lots of guys over that way running different brands , get with them and then choose what best suits your tastes .imo

·
385 Posts
I had this exact conversation on another board a few weeks ago. I said it then and will say it again. If you ask a group of guys what audio is the best you will get about as many answers as guys in the group. It's all in perception. Just like asking people which CAI is the best. You know what I would say.It's hard to get an unbiased opinion. However I will say this. As long as you stay away from stuff that looks cheap then you will always have something better than stock. I don't know how the infinity is in the new rams but both my 04 and 99 had infinity and they looked just about as bad as any other stock speaker. :tdwn:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.