DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to upgrade my alternator, wondering what amp everyone is going with if youve replaced yours. I have no idea what my stock one is.

·
~TYLER~
2,389 Posts
i'm running stk 136 amp...once it frys i'm going to run a high output one i believe i seen a few guys on here running like 180's or 200 if you do a search they will probably come up

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Yeah I thought I saw 160, and 180. 200! Thats a good charge:D

·
~TYLER~
2,389 Posts
I had a hard time finding them through work...napa...there was one made by wilson electrical part number 90-29-5618 which is a 160amp on for the ram...but i also found a couple companies in the states that had some good deals...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little out of what I want to pay :YO:

Thanks though

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
I'll put a 160 in mine when the time comes. On the extra-output units, make sure they can supply more current at idle and mid-range. Many only put out the extra amps at higher rpm.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i have the 160 from the factory, apparently it was part of the snow plow group option

·
what's my bore?
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
So what year durango alternators swap with our 3G'?. Are any modifications needed? Love to shop junkyards.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what Ive researched, 04. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is a plug n play, fits right in, same connectors. fits 02 up to I don't know what year....

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Wait a minute! You have a HD! You have to be careful with the way the alternator is clocked on the HD trucks. But, you might be able to put an alternator from the diesel on your truck and they put out more than 160-amps. You might try reposting the question in the diesel section.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait a minute! You have a HD! You have to be careful with the way the alternator is clocked on the HD trucks. But, you might be able to put an alternator from the diesel on your truck and they put out more than 160-amps. You might try reposting the question in the diesel section.
Whats with the HD thats different?

·
what's my bore?
3,933 Posts
So what year durango alternators swap with our 3G'?. Are any modifications needed? Love to shop junkyards.
no mods needed, just bolts right in.
interchange is
07-09 Aspen
07-09 Nitro with the 4.0
04-09 durango 5.7
03-08 dodge 3500
11 dodge 3500 5.7 cab and chassis
03-08 dodge 2500
10-11 dodge 2500
03-11 dodge 1500

if i where you i'd shop some salvage yards and stay away from the junkyards ;)

i could be wrong on the diesel, but i don't think it would work. a diesel is only made to spin 3000 rpms, but like said about check with the diesel guys.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Whats with the HD thats different?
While I argee with PCP to a point; you might need pictures of your alternator when you go to the part counter. Some of the alternators are clocked different and they may hand you one that looks right but won't fit. In the old days, it was no big deal. You would just loosen the screws and reclock it yourself. But today's alternator have seals on them and if you break them, it voids any warranty on the part; nothing you didn't know. I'm just saying it may not be as easy as it was for me when I went down and told the guy what I wanted. I was in-and-out of the dealer in five minutes. FYI - I used dealer parts because my truck still under a warranty and the alternator is covered with that warranty. The alternator only cost me about $80-bucks out of pocket because I didn't buy it at NAPA or some place like that.

:)

·
~TYLER~
2,389 Posts

·
Low N Slow
4,459 Posts
Truck is an 04. i brought the Alt' from a member (fasthemiram05) here who advises that it came from a Durango that has dual climate control. Not sure which Gen though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.