Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 98 4x4 5.9.

I want to place Gibson headers on it with a Kenne bell SC

I already have the 52 fastman Throtlle body and 1.7 HS and a gutted cat.

A Flowmaster 50 with 3"in and dual 2.5"out

I am running on Propaan (102 Ron) .

Is it better to change the Y pipe?

Does it really make a diifference?

Must it be welded in or is it with clamps?
Thanks for the answers,

Greetings,

Erik.

· Registered
98 Posts
The exhaust is only as good as the weakest link. After getting rid of factory manfolds its the ypipe. It measures as small as 1 3/4" right below the inlet. Get something mandrel bent.

· Be Cool!
987 Posts
I'm in the same situation as Activate. Would a muffler shop who installs the new short headers be willing to replace the factory Y-pipe with something a little larger and better?

Could they just link it up to my aftermarket exhaust?

· Registered
98 Posts
lightning79 said:
I'm in the same situation as Activate. Would a muffler shop who installs the new short headers be willing to replace the factory Y-pipe with something a little larger and better?

Could they just link it up to my aftermarket exhaust?
If you find a good one they will. The shops local to me wouldn't touch anything ahead of the cat.

· Registered
9 Posts
werd to that ^ ... i just installed some flowtech headers and had to take it to a exhaust shop to get the Y pipe re-flanged and asked if he could fab up a custom Y pipe with bigger diameter (older guy) says that im lucky to get the stock one modified ... i know if i would have taken it to my regular guy he would have no pause about it ... i just had no choice i had to get it done

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
^ agree with above, the stock setup is trash. I didn't realize how restrictive it was until I upgraded.
I don't know if you can order just the y-pipe assembly, the one I got from Magnaflow came with the high flow cat pre-assembled.

· Registered
179 Posts
buy a stainless magnaflow with the high flow cat. i put one on my truck about six months ago ,they are mandrel bentand the build quality is excellent. it fit like a glove. i think i paid like $160 for it and it was worth every penny. plus you never have to worry about it rusting.

· Registered
186 Posts
Y Pipe

Pacesetter has a nice Y pipe for around $120 but it is all 3".
Fit real nice with there LT headers. I had my muffler guy weld it up for me, but it comes with clamps.......

· Registered
256 Posts
gristle said:
buy a stainless magnaflow with the high flow cat. i put one on my truck about six months ago ,they are mandrel bentand the build quality is excellent. it fit like a glove. i think i paid like $160 for it and it was worth every penny. plus you never have to worry about it rusting.

You say you bought the magnaflow y pipe, on their site it only says that they have one for the 1994-1999 models dodge. Would that one still fit the '01 5.9. I have the same truck as you have listed in your sig, and in the market for a new y pipe before so when I get my headers they can all be installed at the same time with new o2 sensors. My truck at almost 94k miles on it so it's about time. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.