DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust installed yesterday and I must say, what a difference this exhaust has made on my D. Coupled with the air intake that I installed a couple of days ago, the engine has truly roared to life. It seems that the stock mufflers on the D's are even more restrictive than I first thought.

I went with the Dynomax because I was looking to open it up, but without the excessively loud sounds of some other mufflers, such as the Flowmaster. supposedly, this also puts out better numbers than the Flowmaster as well (though I cannot say I know from personal experience... the only person I know locally that has a FM is my neighbor, but she has it on her 5.3 Tahoe and has never really opened it up). There is a deap, throaty sound that comes from this muffler and people can now tell that the engine under the hood has a bit of power to it. However, the sound isn't going to annoy the neighbors or attract the "GET A MUFFLER!" looks that some other performance mufflers get.

Seat of the pants dyno says that this is the best thing that has happened to the D since the PCM. I got pretty good gains out of my 360 air intake with the stock exhaust, but the new exhaust really seems to let the 360 do what it was meant to do. A more free flowing exhaust is a *must* have for anyone that is running a CAI, bored TB, intake and/or headers.

God, this thing sounds good. :rck:

Anyway, one quick question. If I'm seeing the kind of gains that I got just from upgrading the muffler, why is it that so many people are spending $300 and up for cat back systems? I've done a bit of research on the D exhaust lately and it seems that the stock piping is actually more than adequate for the D. Additionally, we already have pretty free flowing cats as well. Some research has also shown that the dual exhausts actually cause a slight performance loss and that the single exhaust is better for performance. So are the cat backs and duals a waste of money? Is it possible that you are going to get just as good or perhaps even better gains with the simple install of a high flow muffler?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
You are correct. There is not much point with a cat-back on the D. The stock tubing is stainless steel with a smooth bend over the axle. A cut-in muffler is more economical. Dual outlets are pretty much for looks only. A true dual system such as GS Motorsports, (according to their dyno data) shows good gains with a stock motor.

With that said, I wish I had known more about the D exhaust when I got it. The day I brought it home 6 1/2 years ago, I had the Summittt catalog out and bought a Borla cat-back among other things.

·
Registered
68 Posts
coachholland said:
I just had my Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust installed yesterday

What did it run you?

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought Neil, but wanted some other feedback from those that might have something installed.

cardfan, I got mine from a member on the board for $50 shipped, plus $30 for the install. Vash had it brand new and never installed because he has a friend that sells them or something. You might want to contact him and see what his friend has available. I'm guessing that was a good deal because local shops wanted $125-$200 for the a Dynomax Super Turbo for my D.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Dynomax Super Turbos are a popular choice in the 5.0 Mustang community. I had them on my 89 for 8 years. Just a note, they do get louder with age as some of packing blows out. A lot louder.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
coachholland said:
If I'm seeing the kind of gains that I got just from upgrading the muffler, why is it that so many people are spending $300 and up for cat back systems? I've done a bit of research on the D exhaust lately and it seems that the stock piping is actually more than adequate for the D.
I'm on stock pipes with a the cut in, I went this route because that's what I did on my Dakota. After I crawled under the D, I realized the OEM pipes were a little bigger and better than the ones on my '95 Dakota (5.2L 4x4) so I knew I was in good shape. I have $140 and a case of Busch beer worth of $ in my exhuast. That's the Borla muffler, Borla tip, welding and the beer was the cost of labor!

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But when I see those "labor costs" Kevin, I tend to keep them for myself. :drink: :cheers:

·
Registered
370 Posts
i did the dual exit strictly for looks and looks only, but i have to agree with ya, i had the intake, and TB before i got the exhaust .... i definately saw some gains, but after the exhaust went on... she really opened up... kinda makes me want to install the stock air box and TB to see just how much adding just the exhaust really does, or if the combination of the 3 is really working that well together

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a little FYI...There was an article in a car magazine about exhaust systems with mufflers,X-Pipes and 2.5 inch tubes vs straight headers and nothing else...It was actually suprising to see that the exhaust w/mufflers,x-pipe and 2.5 inch tubes actually showed to have a better power gain than the straight headers!!! The article never really drew any conclusion as to why this was. The only thing that they could come up with was that a little bit of backpressure was better than nothing at all..This maybe true for our beloved Dodge vehicles..As for exhuast I plan on installing a single three inch pipe from the cat back and using the magnaflow that I just purchased..It worked pretty darn good on my ram!!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
DansDodge said:
It was actually suprising to see that the exhaust w/mufflers,x-pipe and 2.5 inch tubes actually showed to have a better power gain than the straight headers!!!!
Read something like that a couple of years ago. It's actually the stock PCM programming that is counting on a little back pressure so you don't run too lean at WOT. If you tuned the look up tables in the PCM correctly for open headers/open exhaust you could maximize the HP curve over any aftermarket exhaust system.

Open headers are the ultimate in free flowing exhaust with each cylinder actually scavenging each other out over the preferred power band.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I have consisantly read that a bit of backpressure is better than straight pipes.

·
Sicker Than All
517 Posts
i ran a Dynomax Race Bullet muffler on my durango for a few days. i had it dumped (threw it on at a buddies shop) and it made a nice difference in the top end. i lost a lot of my low end though. it was also really loud inside which is why i went back to stock after 3 days. i should have known better after having a 5.0 mustang with no cats and dumped Borla bullet mufflers (sounded mean, never heard another like it). my mustang could give you a headache after a few minutes. it could also be heard from 4 blocks away (my friends drove it a lot).

i'm still tempted to get another one and having it welded it. i don't think it will be nearly as bad if it's coming out the back. it sounded pretty nice with it on it though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've always liked the Dynomax Ultraflows....I think they are actually quieter than the superturbo's. They are for sure deeper. They also flow better. Now, the Race Bullet...that is just to pass inspection at the track for having a muffler....that is no muffler, might as well have a straight piece of pipe on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.