DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went mudding the other day with my buddy and ended up getting stuck. Nothing major but I did have to be pulled out. Anyways.....when I first got stuck my check engine light came on but I'm fairly sure mud must have gotten splashed up on a sensor or something. The bigger problem came when I got un-stuck and started driving down the road there was a slight vibration. I figured there was just mud packed in my suspension or something and drove home. Last night on my way to work my truck shakes so bad at 60 mph it is almost hard to control the truck. I stopped this morning after work and spent about 15 minutes at the car wash pressure washing everything (exterior, wheels, under carriage) and it is still shaking bad! I also noticed this morning I can turn the cruise on and off but when I try to set it at whatever speed nothing happens. Any ideas wtf is going on?

Sorry for the long post but this is pissing me off!

· Registered
637 Posts
Make sure there is no mud on the drive shaft. It also sounds like you may have got water in the electrical stuff. But then again, what do I know. :) Good luck.

· Registered
588 Posts
Water in the distributor could make it run rough. Can cause a hair line crack thats hard to detect.

Wonder if the muffler bearing got packed up with mud causing problems with the emissions controls.

· Banned
107 Posts
maybe you sucked some mud and water back into the engine through the exhaust, im just throwing stuff out there, but you never know.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It isn't skipping or misfiring or anything, the shaking is more of like a mis-balanced tire or suspension. I just went out and tried keying the ignition 3 times and it keeps saying done without giving me the code even though the CEL is still on when I start it. WTF!!!???

· Registered
69 Posts
If there is no mud left on the inside of your rim ( like happened to me ) you may have lost a wheel weight in the mud. I had what seemed like a very little mud dried on the inside of my wheel but it was nuff to keep me from going over 70 till I scrapped it off.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^I'll have to check them but it is shaking way worse than I ever thought a wheel weight could bother. The other thing I thought about is since I have chrome clad 20's is mud getting in behind the plastic in between the plastic and the actual wheel throwing the balance off

· Country Boy
759 Posts
sounds to me like you threw a wheel weight. I have done that before while mudding. Also check that there is no mud on the inside of the rim like the other guys said. And also WTF no pics?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^oh, how rude of me.....These were taken the following morning. Sadly some of the mud got washed off on the drive home since it was snowing/raining which is why the tires and wheel wells look fairly clean.

· Finally a 5 speed
2,575 Posts
Id try like everyone else said to really try to clean the inside of the rims. I have done this before too (not in the Ram of course) and it had a really bad vibration. I went back and rewashed the wheels and I missed some mud and rocks.

Joey

· Tank Mech
3,911 Posts
You may want to check your speed sensors too. It could have something to do with the CC not working.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
If you are still vibrating you might need to check your u-joints. A bad u-joint might be a little extreme for such a new truck though.

· Finally a 5 speed
2,575 Posts
waldershrek said:
^^^where are the speed sensors?
Not 100%, but alot of them are close to the brake rotor. They are used for ABS so that would be a good place to start.

· Banned
30 Posts
This is why my '07 will never see a mud pit on purpose. She'll always be a highway queen. My jeep has seen plenty. I'm with the guys above on the wheel weights/ hidden mud. You'd be suprised what a fractional amount of weight can cause at highway speeds! Best wishes!

· Registered
24 Posts
When you where stuck is it possible your driveshaft contacted something and was slightly bent? As for the speed sensors they are mounted in the front bearings and I think the middle of the rear axle in line with ring gear or at each wheel, and also one at the transmission. It's more likely you damaged a wire going to one. It's recommended no to repair damaged wires to speed sensors, as an ohm variance my cause ABS or traction control (and cruise)to act up or not work. The way the front and rear disc brakes are set up you may need to pull the wheels to get all the mud out. Don't forget to check the fins of the rotors also, mud in the fins will cause warpage even faster than usual. Good luck.- Tim

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well good news.....after another 15 minutes and 10 bucks at the car wash the vibration problem is solved. I didn't anywheres near all the mud off yesterday! However the cel is still on and the cruise still doesn't work. Why isn't it giving me the code by the key turning method?

· Woosah!!!
421 Posts
Just a thought... Take your gas cap off and put it back on. Make sure to tighten it real good. 5-10 clicks. My cel has come one twice now and both times it was becasue of the gas cap. And once was right after I went mudding. It may take it 20 miles or so to reset after you tighten the cap if that is the problem.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
the cruse control on my truck didnt work eather,,found out the sensor was choped in the back of the truck near the spare so im guessing thats ur problem or near that... is your abs sensor and brake sensor on?

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No ABS light and no brake light, just the CEL. I cannot for the god damn life of me get it to give me the code though. Is there another method of getting it other than the key turning method or will it only show certain codes doing it that way?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.