DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I went to a Honda dealer (friend of my parents) and wanted to see if I could trade in my D for a more gas friendly car. I really was not going to go though with it (I like it to much!) I have a 2004 Limited with 36,500 miles on it. The D is in perfect condition!!! They would only give me $14,400 for trade in. I owe $18K. I paid $34k two years ago this month. I was in shock. They told me that Kelly Blue Book came in at $14K and they were adding $400 to it. I walked out. Just had to tell my story.. That is what I get for going to a rice burner car dealership anyway (imho) :)

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
What kind of Honda were you looking at?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While they were looking at my D I looked at the 2007 CR-V 4x4 and a 07 Accord.

·
9,640 Posts
Honda.com shows estimated fuel economy for a 4x4 at 22 city / 28 highway. That would be an improvement over the Hemi, but would it be worth it to you?

My wife has an 03 Accord. It's a great car, but it's just that; a car. Personally I would have a hard time going to a car after driving an SUV. After driving the Accord around, I'm always thankful to get in my Ram. I like being in a bigger taller vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree about the cars in general. My wife has a SUV also so when I ride in a car I/we both feel like we are sitting on the ground. If gas prices would keep going down everything would be great! I am putting in $150 a week between her SUV and my D... The KIA 3 door deal was looking good the last time I saw how much we are dishing out for gas. I have 2 kids in hockey :)

·
9,640 Posts
My wife's company uses Kia and Hyundai for their company vehicles, and they have been happy with them. They put between 30 and 40,000 miles per year on their vehicles with no problems. Either the Sportage, the Tucson, or the Sante Fe might be good options for you. All have great warranty, so when your hauling the Hockey kids around, you don't have to worry that your putting on a bunch of miles. They might not be as fun as the Durango (can't get a Hemi in a Kia or Hyundai), but I think they would do the job for you.

Kia Sportage: 21/26 Fuel Economy
Hyundai Tucson: 22/26 Fuel Economy
Hyundai Santa Fe: 20/25 Fuel Economy

·
Registered
681 Posts
The trade in value does not surprise me one bit.
Our current "low' prices for fuel is a blip, not a trend.
I paid 23,400 for my Hemi D brand new, and with only 16K on it now, would be *really* surprised to get 15K out of it in a trade or outright sale. I also put in 1K in upgrades into it.
Just look at how many D's are on the lot of the dealer. That says it all right there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my D 2 months ago. I paid 14000 for an 04 St 4.7L with 35000 miles. Trade in value from Kelly was more than that. 2 Weeks later the trade in value on Kelly tanked. Nada and Edmunds was still hi, and I havent checked but I would bet is higher than Kelly. I have since added the third row, leather, power heated seats and increased my trade in value by almost 2K.

truck as i baught it 10,800
truck as it sits now (tow package, leather, 3rd row, heated, power seats)
is 12,225

I still need to add wheels and some other things

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine stickered at 39,050.00 and last time I checked on line average trade is 17,500. But, no one will give you more than 15. I was looking at 2005 Dodge 3500 and I was in the D. The salesman at the place told me I did not even want to hear the trade value. I asked him to look it up. I gave him a copy of the sticker. 13-14k.

Morale of the story, thats the last new vehicle I buy from anyone.

I really like the D. The seats could be a little longer. Thats about my biggest grip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the problem is your SUV is worthless (to them) because the bottom has fallen out of the market. You are better off now keeping it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
the problem is your SUV is worthless (to them) because the bottom has fallen out of the market. You are better off now keeping it.
The big 3 have also made your used truck or SUV worthless by offering employee pricing. When that happens, you get a ton of used vehicles traded in for a newer model and the demand is not there on used cars when you can buy a new one with huge discounts.

I'm with Coastal Dave on never buying another new car. The Durango is almost paid off and the lease is almost up on our Pacifica. I think we are going to keep the Durango and buy a certified pre-owned BMW 3 Series for the wife and just have the one car payment for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.