DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned into the neighborhood and I hear a pop. I guess I must have coasted to my drive way and when i turn in--the truck wont pull at all. I tried everything and no go. I put on the parking brake--put it in gear and looked underneath and the drive shaft is turning. Any ideas what gave way in the azz end between that pos powertrax or the motive 4.56? :rck:

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Sounds like it's the Powertrax, hopefully it didn't mess up the Motives.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im sic about it. I never really felt it was installed right as the powertrax acted too much like a locker. The guy who installed it stopped working on auto's the week after he did my work and if you all remmeber, he had to install the powertrax 3 times to get it "right" I am in a bind for sure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Damn man that sucks! Let me know what you find out I was planning on running a similar setup, but I may reconsider.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we pulled the diff cover down to the dodge place and it looks like the paddle on one of the active spacers is broken. will know for sure soon. Its the same part the installer broke 2 times during the orginal install. can you say hmmmmm

·
RamByBlood
1,309 Posts
Damn installers who ... don't know what they're doing!

I went with the Detroit True-Trac because I had heard of issues with Powertrax, no that they are bad, just some issues.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea it seems to be one pita to install. almost makes me wnna order a different system and i may yet lol :rck:

·
Registered
42 Posts
The powertrax is simply spring loaded teeth that go in place of your spiders. It is a very CRUDE locker system.

My bro in law installed them. They pop a lot on slow turns.

The ONLY reason to ever use a POS locker system like that, is that you can install them without removing the carrier. Since 4.56 gears were installed, a much better (and sometimes CHEAPER) LSD/Locker could be installed.

I think my Auburn LSD carrier didn't even cost any more than the $400 or so my bro in law paid for his PowerTrax!!!

And the good thing about an Aburn, is as it wears the worst that will probably happen is it turns into a OPEN diff again!

Mine actually grabs a little more than I think it should. It squeels the tires when i turn corners, and seems to always spin both wheels. I am sure it would loosen up more after time.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wheres a good place to order the detroit trutrac

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
That really sux but at least it didn't take out your Motives.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...dang Mark...sorry to hear about it...now I understand the joke on the other thread..lol...lets us know how it goes...

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well after a long discussion with the fine folks at powertrax, they are sending the new part now instead of me sending the defective part to them, waiting on a determination if it was a defect in workmanship and then sending me the new part under warranty. That was how they wanted to handle it which sucks if your daily driver is on the rack at the dealership. Even after i convinced them i was not some deranged thief trying to build a free unit- one part at a time, they use fed x which doesnt run to my house before about 4pm and the fact that there is no way it went out today, im lookin at monday at the earliest to get it fixed. I should get a loaner tomorrow from the dealer so that will help. :rck:

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...hhhmmm...deranged...Mark...deranged...Mark...I dunno...other than that, i hope everything else is goin ok with you budy...

·
Registered
42 Posts
accuautoparts.com has some good deals and a awesome lookup to find the correct parts for make/model/year, etc

I got my Auburn and front/rear 4.56 gears from them. I think I used Motive for the gears. Nice and quiet. My 4.7 Dak 4X4 is towing 8,000 Lbs a few times a year. Up some steep grades too. So far so good!

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Hey chipraider77, do you have the No-slip, or the Loc rite? I just wondered which it was. I bought a No-slip but never put it in. I went with the Auburn instead. It is still sitting in the box new. Hope it all works out for you.

Andrew

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the no slip. It did however slip lol. :rck:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.