DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the events of last Friday left me with a new user name and a new 2005 QC 1500 Hemi. It was a beautiful day here when i left work to go home. I was headed up the parkway and saw a Toyota SUV pull forward to turn left across my lanes. He stopped, so i proceeded. Speed limit is 50 but rush hour traffic moves a little faster. Exactly when my truck was crossing the intersection, BAM he guns it and plasters my truck in the driver side door on back. Totalled my truck. Damage started at the driver front fender and from there back, total destruction. The rear end was ripped almost completely from under the truck. I got out of the truck (which did a 180 and rolled to a stop) without a scratch. All I got was a small bruise from the sealbelt. I LOVE MY RAM! State Farm processed things and totalled it. I picked out my new 1500 QC HEMI last night and coundn't be happier that I went with the same truck over again. Now I have a silver one with the sport appearance package. I get to start over on the little details that made the last one personal, looking forward to it.

Anyway, the kid that hit me is 18 years old, and he was unhurt too. You know, we've all been 18, so I dont hold that against him. But, he lied and said I ran a red light doing 70 mph. Thing is, under what circumstances could a vehicle run a light on this particular parkway during rush hour traffic and hit the second car turning? Not possible. (we both had green, but cars turning in his lane had to yeild to oncoming traffic) Then to top it off, he was following a family friend, who also turned ahead of me (but actually had time to do so). That guy gets out and writes a statement that he saw a blue dodge (my truck was dark graphite) truck run a red light doing 70 mph in his rearview mirror. They obviously stood off to the side and rehearsed the story. And then they left together after all was said and done. Fortunately, I had a witness from a lane next to me stop and write a statement for me. I feel bad that he isn't taking responsibility for his mistake - but that is his problem I guess. Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my ordeal.

Oh, and I changed my login from 04_Hemi to this. The new one is an 05, so it only seemed appropriate. I'll try to get some before and after shots of the old truck under this new gallery soon (and the new 05 too).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good to hear you're ok, these are some strong *** trucks. Have fun with the 05.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
YamaHemi said:
... I got out of the truck ... without a scratch ... the kid that hit me is 18 years old, and he was unhurt too.
Glad to hear that neither of you were hurt ... you have a good attitude about the whole thing too. Congrats on the new ride, sounds like State Farm took care of you. Make sure you get a copy of the police report (through your insurance agent) to make sure the investigating officer got it right.

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
so did that jackass kid get the ticket and you went through his insurance company?

mike

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
glad you're ok, deputy ram is right...you do have a good attitude. I would have been so pissed and cussed that 18 year old kid for everything he is worth. Then I would have turned and cussed his family friend. You know, its one thing to make a mistake and accidentally hit someone, but then, blame it on the other person and blatantly lie about it!?!? That's BS. I would have BEGGED that cop to give him a ticket for wreckless driving or something.. Man... I think I'm more pissed than you...lol...glad to hear you like the new ride though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No citations issued

No the primary on the call didn't write a citation. That part upset me pretty good. I'm an ex-officer (detective) with a neighboring city. I let him know what I thought of his lazy attitude toward investigating what happened. I counldn't believe he put that much merit into the statement of his witness based on how he saw they were obviously acquainted and then the things that the witness stated (he saw the wrong color truck traveling 70 in his rearview mirror and claims he could see the light was red - LOL he was traveling perpendicular away from the light and could see it was red in his rearview? When has anyone ever tried to see that through their rearview, much less if they actually can?) I sat at the light two days in a row during rush hour (at the same time) to watch the cycle of the lights, which this officer had plenty of time to do while on scene waiting for tow trucks, If things were like they claimed, that would mean that the light went green arrow for them and they began traveling, then i got between the first and second car while the light was red. From watching the cycles, by the time any second car makes it to the point where he impacted me, there are several cars already stopped at the light. There is no way that there would be an empty lane up to the light that I could have gotten up to that speed in to have done that. I just hope the investigators with Sate Farm are better at investigating than this officer was. We are both insured through State Farm, but now I have to wait until they conduct their own investigation (still a bit upset about that part). I will definitely fight them if they decide anything that will make my insurance rates go up.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
YamaHemi said:
I will definitely fight them if they decide anything that will make my insurance rates go up.
yeah, no kidding. Keep us posted. I want to know that this kid gets whats coming to him. Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, that truly sucks. I'm very glad no one was hurt.

What's also very sorry is that so many people (young and old) feel "entitled" to things they do not earn - in this case, freedom from responsibility and accountability.

You're right, we've all been 18 - and, dare I say it, sometimes irresponsible. Not to worry, true colors always come shining through. Hopefully, the witness that stepped up on your behalf makes the difference.

Are there any traffic cameras that can be referred to, to clear up any differences in the stories?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
im aggravated right now, one cause i wish i had your temperament ( i dont ) and 2 cause i want to find that kid and his Family member and kick their arse!!! Im not a road rager but soemthing like that would take alot to hold me back!!! deep breaths, breath in breath out, why dont that work for me, hahahahaha

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad to hear that you got a new one and are ok. Its a real shame the other driver tried to lie about the accident.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry about the crock that happened and glad that you walked away relatively unscathed...., A you know, things could have been very different for you or/and that dumbass kid. However, under a traffic light and with two different witness accounts..., you know that there isn't a cop in the country that will issue a citation.

The truely unfortunate part is that this dishonest kid will wind up suing you and will probably collect liability damages and - if working- disability insurance of some sort. State Farm won't do squat since they insure both parties. They'll pay you for your truck and settle with this kid's attorney's and doctor's. Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can do to make your carrier fight it out. They'd only be fighting themselves. Good luck anyway and enjoy your '05. Just curious..., how much out of pocket did this exciting adventure cost you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far im out $116 for a rental, and i'm waiting for them to decide liability. If they actually do find the kid at fault, his policy will reimburse me for it.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
A young kid cut off my wife last May. It caused her to suffer both body and brain injuries. She is still not right. The kid left the scene, never stopping after causing her to roll her 4-runner twice in the street. My insurance had to eat the whole truck and all her medical bills. They love me. They concider it an at fault accident even though she got no tickets. No one else to blame I guess.

Glad you made it out okay.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
man, blackwolf. I hate to hear that. I'll keep you in my prayers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry to hear that too, keeps me in check and reminds me it could be worse. Keep ya'll in my prayers too.

Thanks for the considerate comments folks... I just needed to vent and thought sharing here was a good place, I appreciate the supportive responses.

Did I mention I love these trucks!

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
BLACKWOLF said:
A young kid cut off my wife last May. It caused her to suffer both body and brain injuries. She is still not right. The kid left the scene, never stopping after causing her to roll her 4-runner twice in the street. My insurance had to eat the whole truck and all her medical bills. They love me. They concider it an at fault accident even though she got no tickets. No one else to blame I guess.
i'm sorry to hear that. i hope she heels well soon.

damn people.....people just can't accept responsibility these days. thanks alot worthless parents.

mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 18 year old was fine but the SUV was trashed too. Seemed to me to be totaled for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
YamaHemi, glad you're ok. I don't understand how you can feel bad for the kid for any reason, he was wrong and wasn't man enough to admit it, screw him and his family (I'm trying to stay calm)... I hope everything goes your way.

Blackwolf, I cannot give you or YamaHemi enough praise for your good spirits after all of your troubles. I've got over 33 years of driving experience with not so much as a parking ticket. Not because I've never been caught, but because I take a lot of pride in my driving. I drive defensively and am ALWAYS looking out for the other guy (usually a woman). Like it or not, I'm one of those guys who comes to a complete stop at stop signs, signal my every move, and always keep the most up-to-date manual from the registry in my truck. I don't drive like an old man, trust me, but I could fill my bed with the fingers I've gotten because I do come to complete stop, I do drive the speed limit (no more than 5 over) and I don't give an inch to those who don't deserve it.

I've only followed one guy one time to discuss his bad driving habits. It wasn't until we both got out of our vehicles that I found out he was twice my size, but that didn't stop me from giving it to him. Probably not the safest thing to do, but I had to do it. I hope I never have accidents such as yours, but if I do I just hope that I don't lose it. Driving just isn't what it used to be... enjoyable. Now it's just plain dog eat dog.

Blackwolf, did they ever catch who did this to your wife? God knows what I would have done to him if I ever found out who he was. I would probably be in jail right now.

Best of Luck to both of you: Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.