DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never done this before but I have an idea of how to. I am a pretty good welder and I just want to do this and want to have some opinions before I do and will i be able to remove axles for when I put an actual posi unit in its place. thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
yes because all you are doing is welding the gears in the carrier. i would reconsider this if you decide to drive on the road though. just wait for the locker unless this is a mud truck.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Do not weld the spider gears up unless it is a straight up off road truck. You will hate it on the road. I agree w/ Diver, just wait for the posi. If you're impatient, save money faster :)

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
I would agree with the above statements if it's a road truck...

we welded the spider gears on a 280Z Datsun for the "poor man posi" and I did drive on the street. We got away with it due to the relatively short width of the car - but it definitely was not fun to turn.

But welding the gears will not hamper the removal of the axles (unless you get too happy with the welding!!!!).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would it handle in the corners in the road? lol

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It wouldn't want turn very good. Push the front end straight on slick curves.:gr_patrio

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
How would it handle in the corners in the road? lol

depends...if you got up on the tires...it'll drive like a loose nascar ride...but if you go slow - very very very hard to turn

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Casey, in order to understand why what you want to do, is not a very good thing, you've got to understand a little about differentials and steering geometry.
When you're going around a turn, the wheels are turning at different speeds.
For example, say you're making a right hand turn.. The passenger side wheels are turning at a certain speed. The driver side wheels, because they have a larger radius to get from point A to B, are turning faster.
An 'open differential' like what you have now, allows the wheels to turn at different speeds. BUT, you only get actual 'power' driving one wheel.

Now, if you have a 'limited slip' rear end, you get actual power going to both wheels. This differential has (usually) like a little clutch and springs in it, to allow one wheel to turn at a diffrent speed than the other. Hence, 'limited slip'
("Sure-grip" in our case..)

So by welding up an open differential, your not allowing one wheel to turn at a different rate than the other.. So you'll get HARD streeing in the corners, wheel hop or chirping, scraping up tires needlessly, an possibly busting up the rear end and or axles into pieces.

Now if you plan on never doing anything but going in a straight line, have at it m'man! :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Back in the early 80's, we would mess around building homemade "rails" ( front engine, rear drive dragsters, to ya'll young'ns). We would weld up the spiders, kind of a po'boys spool.
We never did go all that fast in 'em, but we sure got a lot of beer drinkin done whilst messin around in the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.