DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 4.7L 02 ram Qc. I had the rear end replaced about 5K miles ago because I was a clip victim. Just recently I noticed this weird shimm/shake coming from the rear. It only come from a dead stop and it is not noticed at any other speeds. For example, when I get off the thruway exit it is a slight declining ramp. If I get held up by the light it does it all the time. As I take my foot off the brake I get this shimmy/shake as if I had a flat tire but as soon as I go over 5mph it disapears. It does it 5 out of 10 times when I back out of my driveway as well.

I guess my question is: has anyone experianced this or have an idea as to what it might be. It does not do it all the time and I know the dealership will come up with a "can not duplicate".

Thanks for any help.

·
Daddy-O
76 Posts
mine does that. i had the rear end serviced, but not for the clip issue. pinion bearing fried somehow. and with in the last few months it started doing the same thing you're describing. i usually notice it when i back out of my drive way, put it in gear, then go, doesn't matter if i take off fast or slow, and i always make sure it's engaged before i hit the gas...... got me though.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is weird!!! Im glad that I am not the only one. I dont mean this in a bad way.

·
HEMI.,need I say more
477 Posts
mine did exactly that after I had the fluid changed. The dealer told me to add an extra bottle of friction modifier, that fixed it

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like an idea, but Im afraid that by doing this it my only be a band aid for a bigger problem yet to come. Oh well I think I will probably just change the fluid in the rear and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
HEMI.,need I say more
477 Posts
jaurora said:
That sounds like an idea, but Im afraid that by doing this it my only be a band aid for a bigger problem yet to come. Oh well I think I will probably just change the fluid in the rear and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up.
It's been 25000 miles since I added mine and no problems. The dealer told me he has to add extra fluid all the time. That some LSD's just come tighter than others. You might try it...It's only like $7 and 10 min. ...anyway good luck

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. So the bottom line is add more of the friction modifer :D. I will give it a shot and post my results. Thank you for the help.

·
Banned
508 Posts
so by adding the extra friction modifier, this is supposed to cure the problem? what if your fluid level is already at the CORRECT level? wouldn't you be overflowing the reservoir? or is it doing this because its low and needs more?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well he was told by the dealer that this was the problem. I still have not yet gotten around to trying it myself. This weekend I will do the rear fluid change and let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**UPDATE**

I had a nice day so I figure I would just go ahead and change the fluid in the rear. The gear oil came out blacker than normal, I also noticed when I was wiping the diff cover it seemed like grease, hard to wipe off and just kept smearing. I checked the "dreaded clips" and they were all snugly in place the way they should be. The teeth on all the gears looked good. I am not sure if this is because it was a new rear end breaking in or what. I went with all synthetic 75W-90 gear oil and a tube of the limited slip fluid ~10%. I was hoping this cured the shimmy/hop in the rear.

It solved my problem. The truck has not done it once since I had changed the fluid over a week ago. Thanks again for the help and ideas on what was causing the issue. I can sleep better at night :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds exactly like what my trucks doing except that mine continues to do it even after a new fluid change. I'm pulling the u joints this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.