DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My dad has 96 ram 2wd with a 5.2L and about 115K on the clock. Yesterday I drove his truck about 100 miles and noticed his oil pressure was slighty below 40 (I can only estimate but maybe 30-35?) on the Highway at 75 MPH (1900 rpm). I have a 95 with over twice the miles on it and have NEVER seen it below 40psi even at idle. I would be interseted in what other people on this forum get for oil pressure at idle and at 75mph. Below 40 on the highway dosen't seem right to me. For the record his truck was full of oil and had only about 500mi since his last change and the motor was clean inside when I did his plentum about 3 months ago so I don't think it is sludge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Below 40psi at 1900RPM seems a little low. Mine has full pressure (60-70PSI?????) when above 1600RPM or at all speeds or when cold. I can watch the pressure change with the amount of heat in the motor (more heat less pressure at low RPM). It has been like that since about 15K miles and it has almost 98K miles now. It still bothers me a little when I am in traffic at low RPM's and see the needle creep around 30-40PSI and that is one of the reasons that I use AMSOIL.

Your issure seems to be a little more serious. Maybe the pump has got some wear and needs to be replaced. Or maybe if the oil change was done at a quick lube they added 5W/20. That would do it.

Eric

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a friend of mine who said that happened to his truck and started using Shell Rotella 15W40 (I know it's a diesel oil, But It's a better oil anyway) in the summer and it popped his pressure up like 10 psi. Maybe I try that after I confirm it's not just a bad pressure sensor. By the way is there anyway to check the oil pump? Or do you just pretty much just change it and hope for the best?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The sensor could be it. It would not be the first time. Fairly simle and cheap. You could get a analog mechanical gauge to test the actual pressure against what the dash gauge is showing.

Eric

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, So I repaced the sending unit and that was not the problem. So I changed the oil and put in 4qts 10-30 and a qt of lucas oil stabilizer and that seems to be working well. Pressure above 40 now on the highway. Talked to my dealer (whom I trust) and he said he didn't think I had much to worry about before at 35psi at 1900rpm. Said I should keep an eye on it and just drive it for a while and if starts doing it again maybe pull the pan and check the pump and the mains. He also suggested maybe trying 15W40 for summer. He said if the truck were new 35psi on the highway would worry him a little but from a truck with 115K he thought it was normal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Take three on this oil pressure issue on my dads ram. Oil change with lucas helped for a few days but now it's doing it again. Talked to my dealer said next step was to pull the pan and clean the pickup screen. He reccomended that I take the truck out and get it hot, Drain the oil, Add 5 qts kerosene, Disconnect the coil wire, And crank the motor over for a second and leave it over night. Then in the morning, Drain the kerosene and pour a couple of qts of oil straight throug the motor, Replace the oil plug and filter and add 5qts. Said they have fixed a lot of plugged pickup screens this way. I did this and had a ton of carbon come out of the motor. And now pressure is at least for now better than it has ever been. Normally I would not put kerosene in my engine, But you don't even have to run it. The important part is to have the pickup screen sit in kerosene all night to break up the carbon plugging it up. He said it works about 75% of the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Dodge 318, how's it going. I have a 96 2500 3/4 ton 4X4 with the 5.9 and since it was new, it never showed better than 50 to 60 lbs of oil pressure, at any RPM. I never had a problem. Yes it does seem better when the engine is cold, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I believe that my pressure guage is not reading right. I now have 105,000 on the engine, and barring that nasty old intake gasket blowing out, it never gave me any other problems.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Dodge 318,
Is the oil pressure still doing ok? Is it still up around the 50 to 60 #'s of pressure?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
satora said:
Hey Dodge 318,
Is the oil pressure still doing ok? Is it still up around the 50 to 60 #'s of pressure?
Actually yes, But not without some more drama. Turns out the first sending unit I got at auto zone was bad. About two days after I did the flush I got some more weird readings. I took it to and independant shop by my house and the hooked up a mechanical gauge and told me to go drive it around until my dash gauge started acting up and it's about 45 at idle and after 1.5 hrs of highway driving it's 55-60 at anything over 1500rpm(they put in a 1/8 pipe tee so we could compare both gauges at the same time). I put in a second new sending unit and all is well. I taking his truck up north to lake this weekend so we will see how it does towing a fairly heavy boat 300 miles. But I think we got it. All that extra work due to a faulty Borg-Warner sending unit.
:VHOT:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dangit. Keep us posted. I am thinking it might be my sending unit as well. Did you get your second unit from the same place?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oil pressure now at about 50-60 on the highway and 40+ at idle. I guess never trust aftermarket parts. Would have saved me alot of trouble if the first sender had been good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
nm2068 said:
I'm on my third sending unit now. My 97 ram consistantly runs at about 40 highway or idle.
I have a 97 and its the same for me. a lil less than 40 @ idle, a lil more than 40 @ 2000+ rpm.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
satora said:
Dangit. Keep us posted. I am thinking it might be my sending unit as well. Did you get your second unit from the same place?
No I got a Mopar one at the dealership for the second one. If you gauge act's twitchy at idle and driving aroud it's probably the sender. The only way I can explain twitchy is it was acting like my fuel gauge right before it went out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool.... thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm not seeing the issue with only 30-35psi. I had a 318 that only held about 5psi at idle once it was warmed up. You should only need about 10psi for every 1000rpm as a genral rule of thumb. I never once had an issue with it (at least not one oil related)

·
Registered
22 Posts
on my ram im always a little under 40 (middle of gauge), and usuall a little over to about 50 when the truck is cold, but when it heats up, it goes down slightly below 40...didnt know this was a problem?? just curious incase i have bigger issues than i think...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tgriffi2 said:
on my ram im always a little under 40 (middle of gauge), and usuall a little over to about 50 when the truck is cold, but when it heats up, it goes down slightly below 40...didnt know this was a problem?? just curious incase i have bigger issues than i think...
Seeing the decrease in oil pressure is what worried me on my Dads ram. I drive his truck once in a while and it had always been just like mine above 40 at all times when the engine was above idle. If I had not seen a a major decrease in pressure it probably wouldn't bother me as 30 psi of oil pressure is plenty for anything up to 3-4000 Rpms. I would however think about changing you sending unit (with a Mopar one) and you might get a nice suprise. It's about a $30 part at the dealership and took me about 20 mins to change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
alright that sounds like a good idea, so i can just call a local dealer and they will provide me with the part? also, still a pretty big novice on engines, i can basiclly change the oil, do the brakes, minor things, think i can handle this?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tgriffi2 said:
alright that sounds like a good idea, so i can just call a local dealer and they will provide me with the part? also, still a pretty big novice on engines, i can basiclly change the oil, do the brakes, minor things, think i can handle this?
It's as as doing a (single) spark plug. It just a little hard to get at back next to the distributer. Also you will need a special socket, Which you can get a autozone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.