DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i had a weird experience on the highway yesterday. i let the truck warm up for about 5-6 minutes before i got on the interstate. on my way to the interstate the truck was running perfectly fine. when i got on the interstate i got up to speed to about 70 mph. i didnt mash it WOT, just let it climb gradually. after a few minutes the entire truck started shaking real bad like the tires were out of balance. so i let off completely and at that instant it stopped. i let the truck get down to 60 and everything was fine. so i got back on it to see what it would do and when i got to 70 it started shaking slightly again. then all of a sudden my CEL was flashing on and off, and the truck started pinging like a mofo. so after a few seconds of that i let off again. and it stopped. then i got back on it one more time, same CEL light flash and pinging but no shake. after this i cruised at 65 and everything was normal.

Friday and about once every few weeks my CEL light will come on, and when it gets checked, its a cylinder misfire. so i have them just clear the light and then few weeks later same story. the truck pings slightly everyday or just about about.

my dad said it was either the fuel map or spark problem. i have no idea what i should do. all this leads me to believe i need plugs and wires but my dad says that has nothing to do with my problem.

what do you guys think? sorry for such a long post, but i was trying to include every bit of info. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
I had issues along them lines and it was a really bad spark plug. I needed a tune up anyways so I did that and no issues since. You should at least pull the spark plugs out to look at em. thats free.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had issues along them lines and it was a really bad spark plug. I needed a tune up anyways so I did that and no issues since. You should at least pull the spark plugs out to look at em. thats free.
yeah i just clicked 85000 miles, and i dont know when they were changed. i am thinking i should just do it anyway and see what happens.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had a very similar experience. Everytime I would try to accelerate on the freeway it would shake and buck like crazy. The check engine like would flash but the only code it stored was for a bunch of misfires. It turned out there is a group of ground wires on the front of the drivers side cylinder head that were loose and corroded. Tightened and cleaned those up and it ran like new again.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a very similar experience. Everytime I would try to accelerate on the freeway it would shake and buck like crazy. The check engine like would flash but the only code it stored was for a bunch of misfires. It turned out there is a group of ground wires on the front of the drivers side cylinder head that were loose and corroded. Tightened and cleaned those up and it ran like new again.
alright thanks. ill check those.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could you post a pic of where you are talking about? thanks!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Which cylinder is misfiring? Usually the code tells you. Then you can focus on the particular cylinder in question.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd go against your Dad on this one. Go ahead and do a simple tune up and fill it with a fresh tank of gas, and then go from there. Remember, do the simple things first.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'll try to remember to get a pic tomorrow in the light. But it is a bolt that goes through the mount for the power steering pump into the front of the cylinder head. There are several ground wires there, one of them being the neg battery cable.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd go against your Dad on this one. Go ahead and do a simple tune up and fill it with a fresh tank of gas, and then go from there. Remember, do the simple things first.
alright thanks plugs and wires or what? I'm only 17 so still new to all thos stuff thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
alright thanks plugs and wires or what? I'm only 17 so still new to all thos stuff thanks
No prob, I'm only 18 btw.

Yea, I'd do the plugs and wires. Maybe slap a new air filter in just for good measure. Do the cheap and easy things first. Also, when you remove the old plugs, have a good look at them. Note anything that doesn't appear right. Especially look at the plugs in cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 8.

Also, you might want to toss a can of Seafoam in the gas tank as well.

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
I had misfire codes and running rough problem. Put new plug wires and plugs in and that solved my problems. Make sure to get good wires. Stock wires as they get old are prone to letting the spark jump out of them. I also wrapped all I could of them in 3/8" Flame retardant plastic wire conduit.Just dont get it too close to your exhaust headers because it will melt.

·
CaseDawg
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys. ill start doing some reading on plugs and wires. thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.