DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on Neighbors 2000 Durango, Checked the A/C Pressure and static I get 110 PSI Both Sides in 95°F weather but the clutch will not engage when A/C Is turned on (The A/C Fan on Radiator turns on though).
I checked and it appears the wiring to the clutch Has 13 V to all black wire and I assume it must activate a ground on the B/W Wire?
When I use a Jumper and add + to the all Black wire and - to the B/W wire the clutch will engage and run and I can disconnect the + wire and it will still work until it tries to cycle then it will not re engage.
I kept my eye on the Gauges and ran the system jumpered and it was getting about 200 PSI Hi Side and 40 Psi Low side and it was blowing cold air. I assume the system has correct amount of Freon and there has to either be a issue with the wiring that send the electrical signal to the compressor clutch to engage but I do not know where to look next to find what could be the issue,
Sadly my Haynes book does not show the wiring diagram in any detail for the A/C System on the 2000 Durango.

I also checked bot the Hi and Low Pressure switches and they both have 0 Ohm Resistance which seems weird to me or is that how they work if pressure is to low the low side opens the circuit not allowing clutch to activate and if Hi Side has to much pressure the switch breaks the circuit causing the clutch to disengage?

Something is really strange how it is showing whenever the key is on 13 V on the Solid Black wire side yet needs a Jumper to initially activate the clutch but once it is activated I can disconnect the + Jumper and it will run with just the - Jumper until it cycles, But if I remove the - jumper at anytime it will disengage the clutch.

To me it seems it must have a bad ground and not enough initial voltage or amperage to engage the clutch without an additional jumper from the Battery + Side

As a side note I checked the amperage draw of the clutch and it was 3.35 Amps does that sound correct ?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.