DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys...I have my motor performing the weay I want it to, but now it is time to fine tune the suspension to put the power to the ground. I have the mods and power to run 1.8 60' times on every pass, but I am just not. My back end does not squat at all with the traction bars preloaded and the front barely rises even with 90/10 drag shocks. So I took off the traction bars last night and holy crap...my truck lifts like a dream..ON THE DRIVERS SIDE. The truck twists so bad now on launch that it feels like the front drivers side tire is coming of the ground and the passenger side isnt lifting at all. So here are my ideas on how to fix this.

1. Put the traction bars back on, but leave about 2" space between the snubber and leafs on the drivers side and only about 3/4" space on the passenger side. This will allow the drivers side to drop more than the passenger side causing the front drivers side not to lift so much higher than the passenger side.

2. Add rear spring clamps to the passenger side only. This would stiffen up the passenger side rear causing it not to drop so much on takeoff and therefore not allowing the front drivers side to lift so much.

Now what do you guys think about this?? I need to get the front end to lift evenly so that I have both rear tires planted flat on the ground.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
havent you seen the pics of dlines truck taking off. Leave the traction bars off. his truck twists alot off the line. Even those he has the bars and launches in 4wd. I say either take them off or give drop the snubber down as low as it can go. If you can hook with the DR's then forget the traction bars. Just try it out. Bring the bars to the track just incase they only take 30 min to put back on. You can do that in the staging lanes if worse comes to worse. Just my .02... its worth a try

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want my truck to twist though...I need to get the front end level on takeoff. This is why I say I want to run more space between the snubber and leafs on the drivers side to allow it to dro pfarther than the passenger side and even things out. I will be spraying out of the hole in a couple weeks, and I dont want my truck to twist sideways and put me into the wall.

2,395 Posts
i think you should try #1 first and see how that works out for you. if you think about it, it SHOULD work, but there's only one way to find out!!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The traction bars weigh about 40# though, so I am going to see if the extra clamp works first. That would be a lighter fix than putting both traction bars back on.

2,395 Posts
true, if you wanna see that sub 13.55 pass, it'll make it a little easier dropping almost another 50lbs

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
badblackhemi said:
true, if you wanna see that sub 13.55 pass, it'll make it a little easier dropping almost another 50lbs
I think I might just skip the 13.5's and go to some high 13.4's...HAHAHA

j/k

Lets go back in 2 weeks after I get this issue resolved...On the 17th or 19th.

2,395 Posts
sounds good, is that the weekend before thanksgiving? just trying to get an idea on when it is.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
HEMI450HP said:
I dont want my truck to twist though...I need to get the front end level on takeoff. This is why I say I want to run more space between the snubber and leafs on the drivers side to allow it to dro pfarther than the passenger side and even things out. I will be spraying out of the hole in a couple weeks, and I dont want my truck to twist sideways and put me into the wall.
true.... #1 should work if the spring clamps dont. But your right try the clamps first then resort to #1 if that doesnt work....

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dline said:
i love to set an example for you guys.
You are the one that got me thinking. "Why does dline's truck lift so much more than mine?"...then it hit me..."let the back end squat". I was going to wait 2 weeks before racing again, but now I think I'm gonna go back on Sunday. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
What about a helper air bag on the passenger side rear? That way you could fine tune it even more by adding or releasing air pressure.

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Hey Matt here is a link that shows better what I am talking about.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Eibach&model=Drag-Launch+Spring+Set

I know this is obviously for coil springs, but I think you could use a regular helper airbag kit for the rear, and either just put one on the passenger side, or just stiffen the passenger side up when you are at the track. You would probably get a little better ride on the street too.

Good luck with it,
Joey

·
1,965 Posts
I have a few ideas. Most of the weight in our trucks is one the drivers side gas tank,battery driver,steering stuff, the driver of course, etc... So first of all we know we need to get weight to the passenger side of the truck yet still allow the rear end to squat. If you added the battery to the rear of the truck and put it toward the very front of the truck I doubt it would hardly even move the rear end down any if at all compared to if you put it at the back like by the tailgate. Also since you have nitrous you should move the bottle to as close the passenger side as you can to help add weight over there. I am sure your spring clamp on one side sounds good in theory but I am having doubts that it will really work but hey its still worth a shot. Another thought is we have LSD rear ends not lockers we all not the LSD will send more power to one wheel which is where I think a locker will come into play better. Think about it if theoritically if you had a peg leg with enough power going to that one wheel and it hooked up you should be able to flip your truck on its side. :D Also every drag car I have ever seen has smaller tires in the front. I am not sure how that really helps you hook up better but its an idea to think about. Okay one last thing I posted on another thread somewhere about how with RC cars you could get a scale that would measure the weight each wheel had on it like the front right has 1000lbs and the rear left has 800lbs just an example does anyone know if they make these for real cars? Wow I think that is just about my longest post ever and its probally really small once I post it. :D

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.