DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a truck, and trucks are suppossed to be heavy, working machines etc.. Everyones always wanting better gas milage.

Anyone tried shaving weight off these 3G Rams to help with MPG and performance?Where does alot of the 5000 lbs come from?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Look at my sig: rear bumper& hitch, spare tire, overloads adds up to 200lb. About 1 mile per gal. better. On the downside, no traction & many burnouts!

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
Took my quad out of the back, putting it back in on Sunday :rck:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I wouldnt want to take off weight on the rear.I had a ford with no tailgate, spare and it was crazy to drive in the rain.

Anyone weighed our hoods or fenders etc...?

How much do the 20" wheels weigh and is going to a forged light(er) weight wheels safe on a 5000 lb. truck?

Light weight drive shaft?

Just trying to think of ideas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
P()()[email protected] said:
No I wouldnt want to take off weight on the rear.I had a ford with no tailgate, spare and it was crazy to drive in the rain.

Anyone weighed our hoods or fenders etc...?

How much do the 20" wheels weigh and is going to a forged light(er) weight wheels safe on a 5000 lb. truck?

Light weight drive shaft?

Just trying to think of ideas.
I was helping one of my sons rotate the wheels on his Honda Civic. He had bought some of those big tires with the 1" side walls and 18" mag wheels. I noticed that these wheels seemed to be pretty heavy. We weighed his stock steel wheels in comparison to the mags and found out that the mag setup was 10 lbs heavier per wheel :huh: Thankfully he got out of the Honda stage and bought a new 300.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Frame, RWD Tranny, Transfer Case (for the 4X4's), plus look at how BIG the thing is. Probably now much to take out in the front end and as many have said, taking weight out of the back end can make it squirrely on wet pavement.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You could replace the fenders and hood and bedsides with fiberglass pieces and get lightweight wheels and put light weight racing seats in the cab. But all the money you will spend lightening the truck up will kill your mileage savings for like 20 years. You might look into putting a gear vendors overdrive in your truck. It will effectively double the number of gears your tranny has and make it so your engine doesn't rev as high as it would normally.

·
Relentless
1,859 Posts
What about removing the spare...rear bumper and putting a roll pan on...and mabye the tailgate...then throwing some traction bars on to help keep it from getting squirrely

·
Registered
49 Posts
You will still spin and get sideways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.