DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Intrepid with the dreaded 2.7 engine (which I replaced at 100K). Recently the weep hole started dumping antifreeze and the engine overheated. I don't think any antifreeze went into the oil. Per the manuals instructions, I replaced the waterpump. It was in fact defective. It had worn impeller blades and the bearing had some play in it. After replacemant and putting the entire stupid engine back together, I poured 1 gallon of antifreeze into the upper radiator hose attached to the radiator with the lower hose and thermostat still attached to the engine (I had not removed them at this point) and negligible amounts of fluid in the block, reservoir and other hoses. Water immediately began running from the weep hole by the thermostat housing at a pretty solid clip. It completely drained the radiator. I checked the new water pump very carefully when I installed it and I am pretty confident I installed it correctly. Any ideas? Does the weep hole passage go up through any gaskets that might have blown? Does the passage go only to the waterpump? I don't really see how the thermostat let the water run through into the block and out of the weep hole so quickly as it should have been closed and all gaskets were intact when I pulled it apart trying to troubleshoot this. I don't think there was enough antifreeze poured into the radiator to reach the waterpump even if I did mess up the install. Help!!! I am totally frustrated and don't know what to try next. My company mechanic says "weld the weep hole shut". I think he's joking......

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.