DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished wiring up all the gauges and the CB. Sure is nice to not be staring at gauges that don't move and listening to nothing but static.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Mike where did you get that gauge plate? Looks awesome

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an autometer "gaugeworks" pod. Fit is pretty nice. The texture is that of the dash, not the center bezel around the radio, etc. i am thinking of painting it to match the dash. Should be a nice contrast.

·
BIG BLACK CTD
646 Posts
very nice mod!!! looks awesome!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the75powerwagon said:
nice mod.. how long did you spend wiring that?

I'm thinking about ripping out my instrument cluster and buying the auto meter old tyme series gauges..

total number of hours to do the gauges was around 4 or so. Little here, little there ... but finally put the last connections in today.

You may look in to the Mopar autometer gauges. It would be an interesting touch to the PW. Yours would be pretty straight forward i'd bet. Good 'ol carburation !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am at this moment trying to figure out my gauge setup, so thanks for the pic. I also have the EZ and am going to get a boost, egt and fuel gauge so your 3 pod setup would work nice.

I also saw the 3 gauge setup that goes on the dash above the steering wheel. Did you consider that one and if so what made you choose this one? Just looking for pros and cons of both.

I also like the factory looks of the gauges.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ps - do the gauges come with instuctions for installing on the CTD? Pricol right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was the pod that most "fit" the look of the truck in my mind. These are isspro gauges. They do NOT come with instructions other than hooking up the gauge electronics. For exact how-tos on the CTD, you will have to search and find out how everyone did it. I did the following:

Boost - I used the "boost fitting" from Piers Diesel (very straight forward)

Tranny temp - I bought a Mag-Hytech DD tranny pan

EGT - drilled in the cast elbow post turbo, tapped and threaded it

there are different ways to do all of this stuff. read around and you will see all kinds of different ways.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mike, where do you have your fuel pressure guage?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is going in the SRT pillar ... only gauge not in there yet ... should be this weekend though !!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Cool....make sure to post some pics when you get it in. Im going to try to get my EGT mounted in mt SRT-10 pillar this weekend as well. I have been putting it off for awhile, but now that I got the EZ, I guess I need to get off my butt and do it :D
If you dont mind me asking, how come you decided on post turbo for yours?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
long story actually ... i'll shorten it though ....

easiest way to describe it is .... cahones ;)

I just couldn't bring myself to drill in to the manifold and risk shavings getting in the turbo. So I went down to the off-road shop and paid for them to do it. When the truck came out, it was in the cast elbow post-turbo. I asked what was confusing about "PRE-TURBO". They told me that this is where they put all of them and the tech must not have read the ticket. So they took it back in and I stood there while the tech was told to put it "here" as I pointed at the 4-5-6 side of the manifold. He said he was not comfortable doing that, so i left. If he isn't comfortable doing it (i.e. he doesn't want to), he is going to do a crap job. I got my money back and left. Sooner or later I'll move it probably.

Bottom line is that even with the EZ (just the EZ, not stacked, etc.) it is going to be hard to do serious damage (unless the engine has other issues). And on a side note, Cummins calls for EGT probes to be after turbo on the ISB in other applications. The EZ is a pressure box. According to Edge, it only ups pressures. It doesn't add timing, etc. So with that said, I'm not too concerned with EGT temps. Basically I am just using it as a baseline type scenario. Today, it runs around 600-700 when driving regular. I can nail it and get 900*. So, a year from now when normal driving makes it hit 1000*, I'll know something is up. My logic could be waaaaay off (wouldn't be the first time). I don't haul large loads long distances. My gauge is more of a "What's Up".

Sorry for the rambling ...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Man, I might be willing to deal with post turbo if I could get it done for free :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The big question i ask myself is this ... do I need them ? The answer is truely no. This truck is not sled pulling, it is not carrying 12000+ # loads all day in the mountains, etc. I have them more for the "cool factor" than anything. On a side note, I just got off the phone with Geno's Garage and they told me that installing a fuel pressure gauge on these 04.5-05 trucks. So I probably won't be installing it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
mikegronholz said:
I just got off the phone with Geno's Garage and they told me that installing a fuel pressure gauge on these 04.5-05 trucks
is....? not necessary?
mikegronholz said:
So I probably won't be installing it.
So, do you have a fuel pressure guage for sale at a great price? :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just realized my 4x4 controls are right where you put your mount. I see your truck is 4x4. Do you actually have a shifter on the floor? My '03 had the shifter, but my '05 has the controls right where your mount is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do indeed have the floor shifter for 4x4 engagement.

As for the fuel pressure gauge, according to Geno's Garage (very reputable), with an Edge EZ at maximum - level 3, the pump will be more than sufficient. Their opinion is that unless you are going with a Juice or comparible, the gauge is just an expensive gadget that could fail. One thing it could detect is a clogged filter, but i change mine every oil change so I am not too concerned there. As for a good deal on the gauge, sorry, but not yet. I am not 100% on not installing it. I just won't make it a priority.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I guess every truck is different because my buddy was a beta tester for the EZ and now has the juice/attitude as well and he said his egt's were higher with the EZ (Close to 1300-1350 at times if he was really pushing it) than they have ever been with the juice setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.