DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 1500 short box 4 x4 with Hemi. Problem-severe rear wheel hop.
I'm talking "bad", not normal. Checked out rear leafs and it looks like they are warped. Over the axle mounting area, they are arched (bent the wrong way).
I checked tech service bulletins but found none regarding this problem.
Has any one else experienced this & if so, what was your fix? If nothing else, I am planning on taking it in to my dealer to check it out. I expect that they will tell me that it is "normal" or "within specs", you know what I'm talking about.
Any help on this issue is appreciated.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I noticed the other week that my 05 with less than 20000 miles is the same way... :dunno: :dunno: I think that the stock springs are just that crappy. If you go to the dealer post on here what they do say but you are probably right, they will say normal. I was thinking about having custom ones made.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats just the way they are. My 02 and my friends 06 are the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My '03 is the same way. The guy who owned it before me had it checked by the dealer and they told him it was normal, not to worry about it, and if the springs break that they would cover them since he brought it to their attention. Same old dealer blow off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's nice to know my truck is not the only one with this situation. When new, my springs were "flat" at the bottom of the spring arch (not real healthy looking) and now they actually have a "reverse" arch. My truck only has 30,000 miles on it, I don't beat on it off-road at all and I never carry any weight. My truck is not lifted or altered in any way. I run Edlebrock IAS shocks, love 'em, 3rd vehicle I've had them on. Same shocks before & after this problem.
I know I could add a leaf to my spring packs, but I don't want a lift or harsh ride. I used to have a little wheel hop, now I've got a lot. If I was street only, I would consider traction bars. I've never seen a set of "normal" leafs that had a "reverse" curve over the the spring pads like this and , for the record, I don't think this is "normal". I think I will try the dealership where I purchased it. If they don't do anything, I will figure something else out. I will keep you posted on what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's nice to know my truck is not the only one with this situation. When new, my springs were "flat" at the bottom of the spring arch (not real healthy looking) and now they actually have a "reverse" arch. My truck only has 30,000 miles on it, I don't beat on it off-road at all and I never carry any weight. My truck is not lifted or altered in any way. I run Edlebrock IAS shocks, love 'em, 3rd vehicle I've had them on. Same shocks before & after this problem.
I know I could add a leaf to my spring packs, but I don't want a lift or harsh ride. I used to have a little wheel hop, now I've got a lot. If I was street only, I would consider traction bars. I've never seen a set of "normal" leafs that had a "reverse" curve over the the spring pads like this and , for the record, I don't think this is "normal". I think I will try the dealership where I purchased it. If they don't do anything, I will figure something else out. I will keep you posted on what happens.

·
Banned
30 Posts
What happens when your springs "break" at highway speeds?

·
Armed QC
951 Posts
they are not going to break. This is what happens when they try to make a truck drive like a car. I went to a wreaking yard and bought a pair of rear springs off an '05,($25) took them home and took them apart. I used the longest leaf, put it into my springs (added a leaf) and the results were great. lifted the back 2.5" (mine had sagged about 1.5"). The ride is a just a little stiffer, almost not noticeable. While I was at it I turned the overload springs over. I know I've made it sound real easy, but it is not that hard to do-just time consuming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.