DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 98 1500 I have never really had to "hit" the brakes hard until the other day when some deer ran out in front of me. They felt very WEAK!! The pads are good, and the oil is up, does anyone know how to make them work better.

·
Registered
302 Posts
does the pedal go to the floor? mine does when i hit the brakes hard, i feel they should be a little better to, but what do i know? ;)

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haeusser : Thanks for the link

SHOCKER_97' : No the pedal does not go all the way to the floor, but they feel really soft. My 86 Ram will throw you through the window if your not belted in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Normally when my brakes get close to the floor, its time to manually adjust the back brakes, since they can't seem to make self adjusters work worth a crap.

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pedal isn't getting close to the floor. The brakes just feel like they belong on a geo metro if ya know what I mean.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I agree with Grey Bear, check the rear shoes. Then I would bleed the system. Quick question, have you changed the fluid recently? When fuild get old it absorbes moisture and that lowers the boiling point. Without the ability to absorb brake heat, the pads and shoes wont be able to shed their heat and that will lead to longer than normal stops. Keep us posted. Good luck... Chris

·
Registered
287 Posts
First try adjusting the back brakes, you can do this by going in reverse and braking many times. The best way is to do it manually, behind wheel theres a little slot, were you can adjust them if you have a screwdriver. If its not the adjustment, then i would check your master cylinder, its not uncommon for them to go out, and if they are out, you will notice the peddel squash to the ground when trying to brake. i just ordered a upgrade kit for my truck, but ill tell ya once you adjust the brakes, it makes a huge difference. i couldnt stop my truck worth crap when they wern't adjusted. Ill post a review of my kit once i get it installed and tested.

·
mope
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome, thanks guys, i'll try adjusting them and let you know what happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.