DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 model 2500 and although I've owned diesel tractors, this is my first truck that's not gas driven. The dealer showed me a valve to turn "once in a while" and release water that had been seperated from the fuel. How long should I leave it open? I left it for a few minutes the othe day and not only did water come out, but after a while so did diesel :huh: .
Any suggestions?

thanks, anthony

·
Registered
322 Posts
When the diesel fuel starts coming out, close the valve. That means you did the job correctly.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
It was a few minutes before diesel finally came out? You need to find another source for fuel.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey Git, make sure the truck is off too, or it will not stop flowing. I had to learn the hard way......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where is this located(like gitpicker this is my first diesel)?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Driverside under the hood. Look and you will see a yellow lever, turn it counter clockwise to open and clockwise to close. It will drain all over the front axle.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's very important to keep the water out of the system. When I bought my 04.5 someone thought it would be funny to put water in the tank on april fools night. After the 75 mile tow, dropping the tank and 6 new injectors the bill was $5200.00 dollars. Thank god for comprehensive coverage. There was a gallon of water in the tank. When you have too much water it will go right past the separator. If you wait until the light to come on you are probably already dropping cylinders.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
How often should this be done? Every fill up? Every month? Every oil change? I know it depends on the quality of the fuel, but what is generally accepted as the number of miles/how often practice?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Anybody?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey hemi freak, my dealer said to dump the valve every 15k miles.
I'll probably do it more, like when I think about it.
I change my oil filter (donaldson) every 10k miles, so that's probably when I'll hit the water valve.

anthony

·
Registered
852 Posts
Some people do it every fill up, some every oil change, I even have friend who has an 03' with 40k miles on it and has never drained it. His water in fuel light has never come on either. I would say about once a month is just fine. It take but 45 seconds.

Carlos

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yea, the manual says every fill up... I had mine for 8 months or so and 9K miles and never did drain mine.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hemi Freak said:
How often should this be done? Every fill up?
I try to drain mine every fill-up; sometimes it winds up being every other fill-up.
Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.