DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..... newbie here with a question...

OK.... changed water pump on 97 1500 5.9l magnum... also put in 180 deg therm. upper and lower radiator hoses. Added coolant and upon initial warmup after the thermostat opened up (upper hose warm) I lost all oil pressure. Turned off engine let cool. Warmed up again, had oil pressure till temp raised up...... now on any startup there is no pressure at all....

Drained oil... it was like Choclate milk... Coolant in Oil? perhaps. What did I do...? water pumps bolts in the wrong holes? Blown head gasket? Cracked block (eek).

right now she is just sitting tight with no oil... should I refill with oil and see if the problem persists? or check bolts in pump? what... inquiring mind wants to know...

thought I would ask the gurus.... any help is greatly appreciated...

richard... :help:

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,674 Posts
When you re-filled your cooling system there could have been an air pocket in the system somewhere causing the head gasket to break from overheating. But first put oil back in it and have your cooling system pressure tested. If it don't hold pressure then check your oil again to see if it went in there.
You could also remove your radiator cap, start the truck up (after you put oil in it) and see if there are any bubbles the the coolant. Does the colant smell like it has gas/oil in it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do, I am going to fill her up with oil tomorrow... gonna see if leak is still present. I didn't notice any bubbles coming up through the radiator when it was running. It seems the number 1 problem would be the head gasket eh.

Thank you for your reply, if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to chime in.

Is changing the head gaskets a doable project? I'm pretty handy, changed the water pump all by myself. :rck:

I miss driving my truck and want it back on the road!

thanks all rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.