DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody give me a clue as to how to removed the crankshaft pulley? I need to remove this to get to the water pump. I have tried bearing pullers, pry bars to no avail. I am very close to just cutting the damn thing off but, I don't want to replace the pulley if I don't have to.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
U need a mopar specific puller that is available for rent at local parts stores.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just went down to Autozone, they have a "borrow a tool" program at all the stores. You just pay like $40 for the tool for a security deposit, then they refund you the cash when you take it back. I used a interchangeable claw for mine. It took alot of rebuilding the jaws to get them in there but it came off..

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
A simple 3 jaw wheel puller will work to take off the pulley. The main thing to do is to get a longer bolt than the one thats in there holding it on.

Screw in a longer bolt into the pulley bolt hole. This should give you a gap between the head of the bolt and the crank pulley. Now that that is done install the three jaw puller and put some preasure on the pulley. Tighten it down pretty good and then maybe smack the end of the puller with a hammer to jolt the pulley loose a little. Once it starts to move you can crank on the wheel puller until the pulley almost bottoms out on the bolt head. Remove the puller at this point and screw the bolt out a little more so that the puller can be used to pull it out more. Do this until the pulley comes off. If it's still giving you problems maybe try heating it up some with a torch. Just don't heat it up till you melt plastics and ruin bearings.

I like to use a longer bolt with the same thread pattern so that I don't booger up the threads inside the crank. Been there done that! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
you can use the stock bolt. the thing most people do (including me the first time I removed the pulley) is they remove the bolt and pull against what they think is the end of the crankshaft (shinny part in the middle of the pulley where the bolt screws into) which you are just pulling against the pulley and going no where. I have a thread somwhere on here that goes into detail as to how to get it off, so you might look around for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.